Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Baer Peter <Pe...@nbg.sbs.de> on 2002/02/04 08:57:43 UTC

File mode cause of "sitemap not available" problems?

Hi there,

quite a few people on this list report a problem for which we found
a (insufficient, dangerous) workaround. Maybe it helps some of you, too.
Before you read on, please, note that this is *not* a good solution
*for production* systems.

 >>>DANGEROUS>>>
	In our case, the solution was to start the X session as
	superuser. Then we start Tomcat, and -- voila -- C2 works as
	expected!
<<<DANGEROUS<<<

Of course, we tried all the things suggested on this list, first. But:
No, it wasn't sufficient to start the X session as a normal user, then
becoming root with su -. This doesn't work in our environment. And no,
xhost +localhost, xhost + and xhost +root didn't help, either. Nor does
it help when we start Tomcat as superuser from the Linux console. It
only works if we do it form an xterm window within an X11 session owned
by root. And when we started the X session as a normal user, the DISPLAY
variable was set to :0.0.

We don't understand this, and we feel that this has severe security
implications. Normally you would rather never start an X session
being root.

We sincerely hope that someone has a better solution, and if so,
we *plea*: Please, let the rest of us participate in your knowledge! ;-)

Maybe the problem is caused by the file modes put on Tomcat or Cocoon
files. However, this appears to have changed. With Cocoon 1.8.2 we
didn't have that sort of problem. Or maybe, we ran into a chain of
mis-interpretations, here. Please, let us know!

Best regards!
--
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|              >>>  mailto:Peter.CA.Baer@Siemens.com  <<<             |

RE: File mode cause of "sitemap not available" problems?

Posted by Chris Newland <ch...@emorphia.com>.
Hi Peter,

Are you using any of the Cocoon 2 functionality that requires an X server
(SVG for example)? If not then you can run Cocoon 2 without any X server
running (although you will need to comment out the SVG serializer from the
sitemap so that it does not get loaded).

If you do need an X server running, have you tried using a 3rd party X
server instead of the Operating System's X server (I use Xvfb running on a
restricted user account).

I've just seen your 2nd message and your configuration is the same as mine
so the above should work OK for you. If not, mail me and I can send you the
relevant parts of my config.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Chris