Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Sharma, Jaikumar" <ja...@barco.com> on 2006/08/30 13:09:52 UTC

RE: How to disable creation of cache repository under c:\Document s an d Settings\user\m2\.. ?

I created a network first to try it out instead of webserver, but
unfortunately it did not work :
What I did was :

		- created a network share on server.
		- assigned write permissions on that to me only,
everyone read.
		- create a environment variable in OS - WinXP
		- and refer that environment variable in settings.xml

		<localRepository>${serverShareName}</localRepository>

On this share, I had already placed all repository contents.

Though it seems unusual to refer it as local, it did not work. I am not
sure If took right steps, may be someone else give some pointers on this
?

Regards.

Posted by Bram de Kruijff <br...@gx.nl>.
> Though it seems unusual to refer it as local, it did not
> work. I am not sure If took right steps, may be someone else
> give some pointers on this ?

Define 'did not work'. What seems to go wrong? I think Maven does not know
(or care) wether it's a local or mounted disk. So if it doesn't work
something is wrong in your sharing configuration or the env variable
substitution.

Still when you get this to work there may be some problem when using this
with multiple developers.

1) If a developer has read-only permission and builds a project that
requires an aditional artifact it fails because it can't save the file.
Effectively it's like running mvn in offline mode.

2) Alternatively when you give all developers write permission there may be
some funny race conditions when multiple clients add the same artifact to
the shared repository.

Anyway, just add a 'clean_respository.bat' if it bothers you I'd say ;)

cheers,
Bram