Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by maya <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/29 20:56:01 UTC

Vista woes....

hi,

am trying to get Tomcat to run in Vista, have dl'd and installed Tomcat 5.5.23

set necessary vars thus:

JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_12
JRE_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre

but when try to run a webapp I get a 404....
(even tomcat-docs doesn't run..)

I know how to set up Tomcat, have done it before..
I'm wondering if I'm missing anything, but apart from setting up these two env
vars I can't think of anything else right now...

(path to compiler is set correctly, I can compile stand-alone classes..)

for Tomcat I have set CLASSPATH thus:
set CLASSPATH=.;apache-tomcat-5.5.23\common\lib\servlet-api.jar;apache-tomcat-
5.5.23\common\lib\jsp-api.jar

(usu., at the advice of folks in the java group, I don't set classpath, and
never have problems.. but set it now to see if it would help.. Tomcat is not
compiling any JSPs, when I go to 'work' dir there are no src files or classes
for the JSPs..)

thank you..

Re: Vista woes....

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
Date sent:      	Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:25:25 -0400
From:           	Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>
Subject:        	Re: Vista woes....
To:             	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Steve.Ochani@ncc.edu
Send reply to:  	Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>

> Hi Steve-
> Obvious stuff first...DId you Make sure the JDK is installed?

I'm not the one with the problem. The  OP is.

Re: Vista woes....

Re: Vista woes....

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
Date sent:      	Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:56:01 +0000 (UTC)
From:           	maya <ma...@yahoo.com>
Subject:        	Vista woes....
To:             	users@tomcat.apache.org

Re: Vista woes....

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
Date sent:      	Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:46:48 -0400
From:           	Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>
Subject:        	Re: Vista woes....
To:             	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
Send reply to:  	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
Send reply to:  	Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>

> Sometimes the environment is so mucked I start tomcat
> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/java -jar bootstrap.jar

Why would $CATALINA_HOME/bin/ have java in it?

Did you mean JAVA_HOME ?

Re: Vista woes....

Re: Vista woes.. SOLVED (port no. issue..)

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of maya
>> Subject: Re: Vista woes.. SOLVED (port no. issue..)
>>
>> yesterday when I was trouble-shooting this I saw somewhere
>> an error that port 80 was being used already...
>
> Probably some flavor of IIS that comes preinstalled, or possibly even
> Tomcat as a service.  Try netstat -abnov to see what's using each port.
> (The b- and v-options will take a while.)  You can then disable the
> unwanted service and start using port 80 for what your really want.
>
>  - Chuck

thank you very much..  I read somewhere yesterday that Vista runs
"around" .NET framework, or is "based" on .NET, or something like that,
there's probably some .NET webapp installed somewhere by default..
that's ok, port 8080 is fine.. thank you again....

RE: Vista woes.. SOLVED (port no. issue..)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.
yes you're right: I will get rid of CLASSPATH settings; as mentioned in
my OP, I don't usu. set it but did so now for trouble-shooting
purposes...  (and yes SDK is installed, I can compile stand-alone
classes fine..)

here's what is was:  I have always run Tomcat on port 80, just so don't
have to put port no. in url....;)  but what do you know, you can't do
that in Vista...  yesterday when I was trouble-shooting this I saw
somewhere an error that port 80 was being used already...

so had to switch back to port 8080 and voila.....;)

I guess something to keep in "collective" memory of this group in case
get this same question again soon...

thank you all very much for your responses..

RE: Vista woes....

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.