Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by Jean-Francois Poilpret <jf...@hcm.vnn.vn> on 2005/01/07 14:12:45 UTC

HiveMind 1.1-1.0 compatibility

Hi,

I did not check out the latest HM1.1 yet (I am still working on the
"official" release exclusively), but I know there are already some
incompatibilities for libraries developed with HM1.0. In particular, in the
case of HiveTranse, I have developed several ServiceImplementationFactory
classes, and I read on the web that they will have to be rewritten for use
with 1.1.
I don't mind much about rewriting some classes for HM1.1, but I would like
however to be able to deliver libraries that can work with both HM1.0 and
1.1, without having to maintain two different sources.

Would it be possible to maintain some compatibility with HM1.1 in HM1.0, or
would it be too big an effort (and not worthy?)?

Cheers

	Jean-Francois

Re: HiveMind 1.1-1.0 compatibility

Posted by Achim Huegen <ah...@gmx-topmail.de>.
I would like to change the ServiceImplementationFactory another time
for the jmx support. I hoped that we could integrate the change in
release 1.1.
The intent behind the change is to allow the factories to return management
informationen to the caller. For example the BuilderFactory returns
construction details like property values and constructor parameter values.
The interface would return an instance of ServiceInstance where it returned
an Object reference before:

public ServiceInstance createCoreServiceImplementation(
             ServiceImplementationFactoryParameters factoryParameters);

public class ServiceInstance
{
     private Object _serviceInstance;
     private Object _managementInfo;
}

So what to do? Change it now, never or create a ManagedServiceImplementationFactory
interface later?

Achim Huegen

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<jf...@hcm.vnn.vn> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not check out the latest HM1.1 yet (I am still working on the
> "official" release exclusively), but I know there are already some
> incompatibilities for libraries developed with HM1.0. In particular, in the
> case of HiveTranse, I have developed several ServiceImplementationFactory
> classes, and I read on the web that they will have to be rewritten for use
> with 1.1.
> I don't mind much about rewriting some classes for HM1.1, but I would like
> however to be able to deliver libraries that can work with both HM1.0 and
> 1.1, without having to maintain two different sources.
>
> Would it be possible to maintain some compatibility with HM1.1 in HM1.0, or
> would it be too big an effort (and not worthy?)?
>
> Cheers
>
>         Jean-Francois

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry