Posted to users@camel.apache.org by gbchriste <ga...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/07 17:59:08 UTC

Camel Without Maven

I'm planning to re-architect an existing Java application to incorporate
messaging via JMS to integrate with a Windows back end system.  I've done
some rapid prototyping with ActiveMQ and I've also been reading through
Camel in Action (Ibsen, et al) and am convinced that this is the combination
I want to use.

I'll confess up front that I'm a 2-decade Windows developer and have been
dealing seriously with Java only for the last year or so, so I definitely
have an uphill climb.  I got the unenviable job of maintaining an
application that was built for us by a contractor who disappeared after
Version 1 was delivered.

Anyway, the biggest roadblock in my plan is the heavy reliance that Camel
places on Maven for managing Camel dependencies.  Our organization's
development activities are required to be carried out inside a separate
network enclave that has highly restrictive policies for Internet access.
Maven is one of the sites that cannot and never will be allowed to be
accessed from within the development enclave and there is no way and never
will be a way for me to take my development activities outside the enclave.

So I need to come up with a work around to get all the necessary Camel
dependencies as I add each Camel module.  I've downloaded the entire Camel
bundle to local jar files and can create local library references.  I've
already tried out the camel-core with some simple file and Bean endpoints.
But trying to manually figure out what all the dependencies are for other
Camel modules, and going and getting them, is proving to be more than I want
to bite off.  I spent 3 hours last night trying to figure out how to do a
simple HTTP request using either camel-jetty or camel-http because I
couldn't get all the right dependencies loaded up.

Here's my thinking and would like to get some community input.  I have a
laptop loaded up with Netbeans (our organization Java standard IDE).  What
about this process:

1.  Create a Maven project in Netbeans on laptop.  There would be no code
here.  I'll just use it to communicate with the Maven repository.
2.  Take laptop to a network connection outside the restricted enclave
3.  Add dependencies to my Maven project for Camel modules (e.g. camel-core,
camel-jetty, camel-jms, et al)
4.  Let Maven project download all jars to local repository on laptop
5.  Take laptop back to development enclave and copy in to lib folder of
target project
6.  Add Library references in target project

Appreciate any help or advice folks can give.

Re: Camel Without Maven

Posted by Mark Frazier <mm...@me.com>.
Probably similar to what you described. Set it up as a mirror, run the maven project on the network, then
take the whole database etc to the other machine, maybe an export? Otherwise you’ll need to load them all
by hand.

That can get nasty. ;) It’s the transitives that will kill you.

Re: Camel Without Maven

Posted by gbchriste <ga...@gmail.com>.
Bryan Saunders wrote
> [...]
> no issues getting it approved. Once that is done, you simply point all of
> your maven builds to that repository instead of Maven central.
>
> As for populating the Repo, I have found that the best way to do an
> initial
> population of the repo is to create a project outside of the enclave with
> all of the needed requirements and built it so that Maven downloads all of
> the dependencies you need. From there you can move your local
> .m2/repository directoy into your Development Enclave and use that as the
> initial load. The method for moving the files over is going to depend on
> your setup obviously.
>
> Another alternative is try to get an exception from your security or
> network team to allow your local Nexus to mirror Maven Central. This way
> your builds will only connect to your local Nexus, and will pull
> dependencies from there whenever possible, but it will allow Nexus to go
> get librarys from Maven Central (or any other mirroroed repo) whenever its
> needed. I have seen some Agencies allow this, and others not, so your
> mileage may very there.
>
>  - Bryan
>
> *Bryan Saunders* | Senior Middleware Consultant
> Public Sector Consulting
> Red Hat
> M: 843.467.9341

> bsaunder@

>   &lt;

> bsaunder@

> &gt;
> &lt;http://www.redhat.com/&gt;
> Better technology. Faster innovation. Powered by community collaboration.
> See how it works at redhat.com &lt;http://www.redhat.com/&gt;
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 1:15 PM, gbchriste &lt;

> gary.christenot@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> Mark Frazier-2 wrote
>> > I would look into setting up your own local maven repo (nexus or
>> > artifactory) first, rather than
>> > try to do it without maven. There are a few maven plugins which are
>> highly
>> > valuable/helpfull
>> > in creating your build.
>> >
>> > You could then load the dependencies into your local repo and stay
>> inside
>> > the classified (I’m assuming)
>> > network.

>> > gary.christenot@

>> incorporate
>> done
>> through

>> been
>> definitely
>> after

>> Camel
>> separate
>> access.

>> I've
>> other
>> do

>> code
>> of

>> Not classified but it is a government project.  I'll look in to your
>> suggestion further.  I guess my first question though would be how to go

Thanks Bryan.  I've just started looking in to the internal repository idea
and it seems doable, and actually just a variant of what I was
proposing...creating a Maven project outside the enclave to get the
artifacts and then duplicating those inside the enclave, except the
duplication target would be an internal Maven repository rather than my
project's /lib folder.

If we still had some control over our own network boundary where I work I
would probably try to get an exception because I'm on a first name basis
with the guys who would do it.  But in the last year we went to a
service-wide networking architecture and all of the network management is
now done by a bunch of faceless and nameless folks 1000 miles away who won't
talk to you except through a trouble ticket and have no interest in
departing from what the rule book says.  Right now the central Maven
repository is not reachable from our enclave and I just don't have the
patience or energy to try and push that rock up the hill, since I'm 99.999%
sure it would just roll back over me and crush me in the end.

So I'll pursue the idea of an internal repository.

Gary

Re: Camel Without Maven

Posted by Bryan Saunders <bs...@redhat.com>.
Gary,

bsaunder@redhat.com  <bs...@redhat.com>
<http://www.redhat.com/>
See how it works at redhat.com <http://www.redhat.com/>

Re: Camel Without Maven

Posted by gbchriste <ga...@gmail.com>.
Mark Frazier-2 wrote

Re: Camel Without Maven

Posted by Mark Frazier <mm...@me.com>.

Re: Camel Without Maven

Posted by gbchriste <ga...@gmail.com>.
Claus Ibsen-2 wrote
> [...]

>> Here's my thinking and would like to get some community input.  I have a
>> laptop loaded up with Netbeans (our organization Java standard IDE).
>> What
>> about this process:
>>
>> 1.  Create a Maven project in Netbeans on laptop.  There would be no code
>> here.  I'll just use it to communicate with the Maven repository.
>> 2.  Take laptop to a network connection outside the restricted enclave
>> 3.  Add dependencies to my Maven project for Camel modules (e.g.
>> camel-core,
>> camel-jetty, camel-jms, et al)
>> 4.  Let Maven project download all jars to local repository on laptop
>> 5.  Take laptop back to development enclave and copy in to lib folder of
>> target project
>> 6.  Add Library references in target project
>>
>> Appreciate any help or advice folks can give.

Thanks Claus!  I've had Camel In Action sitting on my book shelf for about a
month but really dug in to it this past weekend while thinking about my
re-architecture needs.  I'm looking forward to really digging and employing
it in my application!

Gary

Re: Camel Without Maven

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.