Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Simon Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/11 11:18:05 UTC

Re: Model Version 5.0.0

Since we're thinking about model-5.0.

Is it possible to support project dependency in 5.0?
Project dependency could benefit users a lot.
They needn't care about whether others dependent projects(might changed)
are installed or not.
And users needn't always run maven build with parent pom.

Regards
Simon

Re: Model Version 5.0.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le vendredi 13 juin 2014 10:51:35 Simon Wang a écrit :
> exactly.
>
> by that way, not only simplify pom.
> Also for one maven build, could identify project dependency hierarchy
> easier.
>
> base on that, could do further things:
> 1. to ensure whether could parallel build for module projects.
> 2. provide analysis report for developers to show their dependency
> hierarchy to help them improve their structure.
we already have that without such feature: plugins can easily know what is in
the reactor

from what I understand, it will just simplify poms a little bit: ok, why not

and since old maven version cannot understand a pom without missing info, this
will require the 5.0.0 POM, even if no new element was added

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Model Version 5.0.0

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Is there any value in letting the 5.0.0 be like HTML in that new elements
may continuously introduced but older clients must allow "graceful
degradation"?

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Model Version 5.0.0