Posted to announce@apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@apache.org> on 2017/03/10 12:01:58 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache UIMA Ruta 2.6.0 released

The Apache UIMA team is pleased to announce the release of
Apache UIMA Ruta (Rule-based Text Annotation), version 2.6.0.

The Unstructured Information Management Architecture (UIMA) is a
component framework supporting development, discovery, composition, and
deployment of multi-modal analytics tasked with the analysis of
unstructured information.

Apache UIMA is an Apache licensed open source implementation of the UIMA
specification which is being developed by a technical committee within
OASIS, a standards organization. The implementation comprises an SDK and
tooling for composing and running analytic components written in Java
and C++, with some support for Perl, Python and TCL.

Apache UIMA Ruta is a rule-based script language supported by
Eclipse-based tooling. The language is designed to enable rapid
development of text processing applications within UIMA. A special focus
lies on the intuitive and flexible domain specific language for defining
patterns of annotations. The Eclipse-based tooling,
called the Apache UIMA Ruta Workbench, was created to support the
user and to facilitate every step when writing rules. Both
the rule language and the workbench integrate
smoothly with Apache UIMA.

Major Changes in this Release

UIMA Ruta Language and Analysis Engine:
- Annotation expressions can be restricted using feature matches and
conditions
- Several new configuration parameters for RutaEngine
- Experimental features to optimize internal indexing (for experienced
users)
- Minimal support of feature structures in feature match expressions
- API change report for ruta-core
- Typesystem descriptors with JCasGen classes are located in separate
artifact
- Implementation of RutaBasic is located in separate artifact
- Many bug fixes and improvements, especially for label expressions

UIMA Ruta Workbench:
- Direct debugging of launched scripts in Java is supported
- Improved error messages in launcher
- Removed restriction of classpath size causing problems in launcher
- Deactivated noVM preference
- Changed UI to set annotation mode in views
- Launcher uses project encoding
- Bug fixes

This release requires an update of script projects and its descriptors
in the UIMA Ruta Workbench. There are several ways to achieve this.
The recommended way is to right-click on the UIMA Ruta project and
select "UIMA Ruta -> Convert to UIMA Ruta project", which will update
all provided descriptors. Then, select the project and press
"Project -> Clean..." in the menu, which will regenerate all descriptors
of your scripts based on the new templates.
Projects built with the UIMA Ruta Maven Plugin require no manual effort.

For a full list of the changes, please refer to Jira:
http://uima.apache.org/d/ruta-2.6.0/issuesFixed/jira-report.html

More information about UIMA Ruta can be found here:
http://uima.apache.org/ruta.html

 - Peter Klügl, for the Apache UIMA development team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache UIMA Ruta 2.6.0 released

Posted by Hugues de Mazancourt <hu...@mazancourt.com>.
Thanks Peter,

I created the issue on JIRA : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5371 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5371>

Best,