Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by Keval Bhatt <kb...@apache.org> on 2018/01/16 10:38:44 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Atlas version 1.0.0-alpha release candidate 0

Atlas team,

Apache Atlas 1.0.0-alpha release candidate #0 is now available for a vote
within dev community. Links to the release artifacts are given below.
Please review and vote.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until the required number of
votes are obtained.

[ ] +1 approve

[ ] +0 no opinion

[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

+1 from my side for the release.

Thanks,
Keval Bhatt

Git tag for the release:
https://github.com/apache/atlas/tree/release-1.0.0-alpha-rc0

Sources for the release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/atlas/1.0.0-alpha-rc0/apache-atlas-1.0.0-alpha-sources.tar.gz

Source release verification:
  PGP Signature:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/atlas/1.0.0-alpha-rc0/apache-atlas-1.0.0-alpha-sources.tar.gz.asc
  MD5 Hash:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/atlas/1.0.0-alpha-rc0/apache-atlas-1.0.0-alpha-sources.tar.gz.md5

Keys to verify the signature of the release artifacts are available at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/atlas/KEYS

List of improvements and issues addressed in this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20Atlas%20AND%20resolution%20IN%20%20(Fixed%2CResolved)%20AND%20fixVersion%20IN%20(1.0.0%2C1.0.0-alpha)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Atlas version 1.0.0-alpha release candidate 0

Posted by Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com>.
Thanks Madhan

I have raised JIRAs ATLAS-2379 through ATLAS-2417 to cover these tests.

Best regards,
  Graham

Graham Wallis
IBM Analytics Emerging Technology Center
Internet: graham_wallis@uk.ibm.com
IBM Laboratories, Hursley Park, Hursley, Hampshire SO21 2JN
Tel: +44-1962-815356    Tie: 7-245356

From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
To:     "dev@atlas.apache.org" <de...@atlas.apache.org>
Cc:     Keval Bhatt <kb...@apache.org>
Date:   19/01/2018 16:32
Subject:        Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Atlas version 1.0.0-alpha
release candidate 0

Graham,

Thanks for raising this point. To track fix for the disabled tests in GA
release, I suggest creating a JIRA for each test and mark it as a blocker
with fixVersion=1.0.0. I will review the disabled tests and file JIRAs.

Regards,
Madhan

On 1/18/18, 6:25 AM, "Graham Wallis" <gr...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

    Hi Madhan

    Just an observation - although all the currently enabled UTs and ITs
are
    passing there were (last time I looked) 31 tests that are disabled. I
    wouldn't consider these a blocker to the alpha release but I think we
    shouldn't lose sight of the fact that either the tests or the runtime
code
    will need to be updated.

    From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
    To:     "dev@atlas.apache.org" <de...@atlas.apache.org>, Keval Bhatt
    <kb...@apache.org>
    Date:   17/01/2018 01:46
    release candidate 0

    David,

    >> to define what we mean by an alpha release

    As mentioned in the initial proposal for 1.0.0-alpha release a month
back,
    the purpose of this release is “to enable applications that integrate
with
    Apache Atlas to review the changes and update”.

    >> I feel there are migration considerations we need to agree in the
    community how to handle and create statements associated with this
alpha
    release

    Details on migration of data from earlier version of Atlas, which used

    Titan 0.5.4 graph DB, will be included in 1.0.0 release.

    >> migration to Janus means changing to TP3 graph - I thought we were
    going to supply migration scripts to migrate existing instance data
from
    Titan 0 graphs.

    TP3 or TP2 is an internal detail to Apache Atlas; we don’t
expect/support
    any use of TinkerPop queries outside of Atlas server. There shouldn’t
be a
    need to provide migration scripts.

    >> as we bring in the open metadata capability, it makes sense that
the
    models are added programmatically - we therefore are likely going to
want
    to remove much of the Area models

    I would suggest to file JIRAs for this change, with details of the
    alternate approach. I think this shouldn’t be a blocker for alpha
release.

    >> we may want to say something like - this is a technical preview. we
do
    not provide migration tooling to or from this release. It is available
as
    is and should not be used in production.

    I agree. Such note will be added in README and the documentation of
the
    alpha release.

    >> I think we should mention in the docs about Janusgraph - which is
now
    the default and the new Maven build profiles and community supported
build
    combinations - I think we are saying only Janus hbase and solr.

    Yes. This will be included in the documentation.

    >> the docs all refer to the V1 API and not the strategic V2 API
including
    relationships - I think the docs (not just the Swagger)  should be
updated
    to reflect the current code. Some examples from the web site docs that

    might mislead:

    Yes. This work in in-progress. I will send updated doc later this
week.
    Given the primary reason for this release is for existing integrations
    review the changes, having updated V2 APIs in Swagger will be helpful.

    >> How close are we to a reliably clean nightly build running all the
    tests? When I try to run atlas after the build using the embedded
solr,
    hbase and Janus is only intermittently starts successfully.

    All UT/IT test failures have been address and Apache builds run ITs
and
    UTs successfully. If you run into any issues, I would suggest to file
    JIRAs to track the fixes.

    >> I wanted to understand where we were on the above considerations
before
    I voted,

    In summary, the documentation needs to be updated with details of the
    release and set the right expectation (that this release is not meant
for
    production use, ..). However, I think this shouldn’t block voting on
alpha
    release.

    Thanks,

    Madhan

    On 1/16/18, 6:02 AM, "David Radley" <da...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

        Hi Keval,

        Thanks for kicking this off. For this release I think we need:

        - to define what we mean by an alpha release. I feel there are
[...]

                - the first section after the high level architecture is
the
    type

        system (the old one we have removed) and refers solely to V1 APIs.

                - the metadata repository section is empty

                - search does not include the enhancements to basic
search,
    DSL

        should include the up to date Antlr DSL grammar.

                - security should mention the support for Knox

                - we seem to have lost the developers guide.

        - How close are we to a reliably clean nightly build running all
the

        tests? When I try to run atlas after the build using the embedded
    solr,

        hbase and Janus is only intermittently starts successfully.

        I wanted to understand where we were on the above considerations
    before I

        voted,

        all the best, David.

        From:   Keval Bhatt <kb...@apache.org>

        To:     dev@atlas.apache.org

        Date:   16/01/2018 10:39

        Subject:        [VOTE] Release Apache Atlas version 1.0.0-alpha
    release

        candidate 0

        Atlas team,

        Apache Atlas 1.0.0-alpha release candidate #0 is now available for
    vote

        within dev community. Links to the release artifacts are given
below.

        Please review and vote.

        The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until the required
    number

        of

        votes are obtained.

        [ ] +1 approve

        [ ] +0 no opinion

        [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

        +1 from my side for the release.

        Thanks,

        Keval Bhatt

        Git tag for the release:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_atlas_tree_release-2D1.0.0-2Dalpha-2Drc0&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=QhpUQPr5YlG95aAgCvZGStEXHg4hBbSYQ9JkRqR_svY&m=LArqbNVNnJIJjSpGtn1QL36jodLAQtEgevUvztZtb7k&s=RBhwmH-TcWcBdYSWzYfM0vKbv9D1Mo1Zr5lSp-2pcNc&e=

        Sources for the release:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dist.apache.org_repos_dist_dev_atlas_1.0.0-2Dalpha-2Drc0_apache-2Datlas-2D1.0.0-2Dalpha-2Dsources.tar.gz&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=QhpUQPr5YlG95aAgCvZGStEXHg4hBbSYQ9JkRqR_svY&m=LArqbNVNnJIJjSpGtn1QL36jodLAQtEgevUvztZtb7k&s=ueSe-1Z1hIQJTT6d-4yAzedXC9qDsZ0BmCmgipM6Om0&e=

        Source release verification:

          PGP Signature:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dist.apache.org_repos_dist_dev_atlas_1.0.0-2Dalpha-2Drc0_apache-2Datlas-2D1.0.0-2Dalpha-2Dsources.tar.gz.asc&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=QhpUQPr5YlG95aAgCvZGStEXHg4hBbSYQ9JkRqR_svY&m=LArqbNVNnJIJjSpGtn1QL36jodLAQtEgevUvztZtb7k&s=CaYTFldNIZMquKjmg4a-8uB4jb6eMiH_lOj6b8dsiYs&e=

          MD5 Hash:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dist.apache.org_repos_dist_dev_atlas_1.0.0-2Dalpha-2Drc0_apache-2Datlas-2D1.0.0-2Dalpha-2Dsources.tar.gz.md5&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=QhpUQPr5YlG95aAgCvZGStEXHg4hBbSYQ9JkRqR_svY&m=LArqbNVNnJIJjSpGtn1QL36jodLAQtEgevUvztZtb7k&s=WE38WprSKpyEz7s6ABOD8lta4wLsm6xvZ1mbqPmFgHY&e=

        Keys to verify the signature of the release artifacts are
available at

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dist.apache.org_repos_dist_dev_atlas_KEYS&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=QhpUQPr5YlG95aAgCvZGStEXHg4hBbSYQ9JkRqR_svY&m=LArqbNVNnJIJjSpGtn1QL36jodLAQtEgevUvztZtb7k&s=rWkIvqJL-TReyp_m-sCeQ5iL6f9bgh8mmnUkq75uCGQ&e=

        List of improvements and issues addressed in this release:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_issues_-3Fjql-3Dproject-2520-253D-2520Atlas-2520AND-2520resolution-2520IN-2520-2520-28Fixed-252CResolved-29-2520AND-2520fixVersion-2520IN-2520-281.0.0-252C1.0.0-2Dalpha-29&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=QhpUQPr5YlG95aAgCvZGStEXHg4hBbSYQ9JkRqR_svY&m=LArqbNVNnJIJjSpGtn1QL36jodLAQtEgevUvztZtb7k&s=wSianOmufHSkp45JiAV8-x04TDKH5my6KVUX5ieyv40&e=

        Unless stated otherwise above:

        IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with
    number

        741598.

        Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
PO6
    3AU

    From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
    To:     "dev@atlas.apache.org" <de...@atlas.apache.org>, Keval Bhatt
    <kb...@apache.org>
    Date:   17/01/2018 01:46
    release candidate 0

    David,

    >> to define what we mean by an alpha release

    As mentioned in the initial proposal for 1.0.0-alpha release a month back,
    the purpose of this release is “to enable applications that integrate with
    Apache Atlas to review the changes and update”.

    >> I feel there are migration considerations we need to agree in the
    community how to handle and create statements associated with this alpha
    release

    Details on migration of data from earlier version of Atlas, which used
    Titan 0.5.4 graph DB, will be included in 1.0.0 release.

    >> migration to Janus means changing to TP3 graph - I thought we were
    going to supply migration scripts to migrate existing instance data from
    Titan 0 graphs.

    TP3 or TP2 is an internal detail to Apache Atlas; we don’t expect/support
    any use of TinkerPop queries outside of Atlas server. There shouldn’t be a
    need to provide migration scripts.

    >> as we bring in the open metadata capability, it makes sense that the
    models are added programmatically - we therefore are likely going to want
    to remove much of the Area models

    I would suggest to file JIRAs for this change, with details of the
    alternate approach. I think this shouldn’t be a blocker for alpha release.

    >> we may want to say something like - this is a technical preview. we do
    not provide migration tooling to or from this release. It is available as
    is and should not be used in production.

    I agree. Such note will be added in README and the documentation of the
    alpha release.

    >> I think we should mention in the docs about Janusgraph - which is now
    the default and the new Maven build profiles and community supported build
    combinations - I think we are saying only Janus hbase and solr.

    Yes. This will be included in the documentation.

    >> the docs all refer to the V1 API and not the strategic V2 API including
    relationships - I think the docs (not just the Swagger)  should be updated
    to reflect the current code. Some examples from the web site docs that
    might mislead:

    Yes. This work in in-progress. I will send updated doc later this week.
    Given the primary reason for this release is for existing integrations to

From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
To:     "dev@atlas.apache.org" <de...@atlas.apache.org>, Keval Bhatt
<kb...@apache.org>
Date:   17/01/2018 01:46

Posted by Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>.
David,

>> to define what we mean by an alpha release

As mentioned in the initial proposal for 1.0.0-alpha release a month back, the purpose of this release is “to enable applications that integrate with Apache Atlas to review the changes and update”.

>> I feel there are migration considerations we need to agree in the community how to handle and create statements associated with this alpha release

Details on migration of data from earlier version of Atlas, which used Titan 0.5.4 graph DB, will be included in 1.0.0 release.

>> migration to Janus means changing to TP3 graph - I thought we were going to supply migration scripts to migrate existing instance data from Titan 0 graphs.

TP3 or TP2 is an internal detail to Apache Atlas; we don’t expect/support any use of TinkerPop queries outside of Atlas server. There shouldn’t be a need to provide migration scripts.

>> as we bring in the open metadata capability, it makes sense that the models are added programmatically - we therefore are likely going to want to remove much of the Area models

I would suggest to file JIRAs for this change, with details of the alternate approach. I think this shouldn’t be a blocker for alpha release.

>> we may want to say something like - this is a technical preview. we do not provide migration tooling to or from this release. It is available as is and should not be used in production.

I agree. Such note will be added in README and the documentation of the alpha release.

>> I think we should mention in the docs about Janusgraph - which is now the default and the new Maven build profiles and community supported build combinations - I think we are saying only Janus hbase and solr.

Yes. This will be included in the documentation.

>> the docs all refer to the V1 API and not the strategic V2 API including relationships - I think the docs (not just the Swagger)  should be updated to reflect the current code. Some examples from the web site docs that might mislead:

Yes. This work in in-progress. I will send updated doc later this week. Given the primary reason for this release is for existing integrations to review the changes, having updated V2 APIs in Swagger will be helpful.