Posted to kandula-dev@ws.apache.org by Benjamin Schmeling <Be...@gmx.de> on 2007/08/17 13:02:42 UTC

Isolation levels in Kandula/ WS-AT

Hi all,

I have a question concerning isolation levels preserved by Kandula.

The WS-AT specification states nothing about isolation levels. It says
that a transaction defined in WS-AT has ACID properties and consequently
preserves isolation.

Is it possible to choose a certain isolation level (1,2,4,8) in Kandula?
Which level is supported by default? (Read uncommitted, read committed,
repeatable read, serializable)

Thanks,

Benjamin

Re: Isolation levels in Kandula/ WS-AT

Posted by Hannes Erven <ha...@erven.at>.
Hi Benjamin,

> The WS-AT specification states nothing about isolation levels. It says
> that a transaction defined in WS-AT has ACID properties and consequently
> preserves isolation.

Yes, exactly. I guess the specification authors did not want to be too
specific to keep WS-AT open to different applications.
Not every resource is a database ;-)

> Is it possible to choose a certain isolation level (1,2,4,8) in Kandula?
> Which level is supported by default? (Read uncommitted, read committed,
> repeatable read, serializable)

Since WS-AtomicTransaction does not allow transaction level requirements
to be transmitted to the participants/resources, this is something the
application has to take care of.
Of course, it would also be possible to specify an extension to WS-AT
that would allow setting the isolation level when creating the
transaction context.

-hannes