Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/10/26 15:49:33 UTC

[Fwd: licensing issues revisited]

Dear PMC,

I am sure you have noticed the recent discussions regarding licensing
issues within Avalon CVS. There's still some confusion among committers
about what is correct and what is not. I'd like you to take a look at
the messages on this subject on avalon-dev:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=102509747200005&r=1&w=2 (september)
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=102501253800001&r=1&w=2 (september)
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103519834400001&r=1&w=2 (this week)

and follow up with a clear and decisive statement describing in some
detail what is acceptable and what is not, so that any doubts can be
taken away and we can properly clean up our mess. (note: I have tried
contacting legal@apache.org but that message bounced).

thanks in advance and best regards,

Leo Simons

Below are some excerpts:

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 21:30, Paul Hammant wrote:
<snip/>
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
> > Actually I was under the impression that this was discussed and
agreed
> > ages ago - Leo's email was just a pointed reminder that there is
> > housekeeping based on the feedback from Stafano from the PMC
> > concerning their unilateral position.
> >
> > If you consider the license question as an open-issue, then yes, I
can
> > see how you could draw a conclusion that updating license statements
> > in the framework was unilateral - however, I think that's wrong
> > because this is a PMC position, not an Avalon position.
>
> For me it is only a ugliness factor.  The longer one is clearly more
> ugly, and I'd /prefer/ to have the short ones.  For other it is more
> important than that.  If we're all not in unison, could we perhaps
draw
> in a someone who has met with the lawyers in question and advise us
> direct.  It may seem redundant, but I am sure an apache old-timer
might
> like to come here for a couple of days to answer questions....

related to an older thread re-started recently with: