Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Paul Lindner <pl...@redhat.com> on 2000/08/17 00:34:33 UTC

Sticky forms for Apache::ASP

Hi,

We've worked out a solution to get sticky form fields inside Apache::ASP

We use HTML::FillinForm and a custom tag to get the desired behaviour.
Put this is in global.asa:

 sub fillin {
   my $args = shift;
   my $html = shift;
   my $fif = new HTML::FillInForm;
   my $output = $fif->fill(
	       		   scalarref => \$html,
			   fdat      => $Apps::Param,
			   );
   $Response->Write($output);
 }

Note $Apps::Param is set to either the querystring or form data.
Replace with $Request->QueryString or $Request->Form if you wish.

Then put something like this in your apache configuration:

  XMLSubsMatch fillin

Finally, surround your forms like this:

  <fillin>
    <form>
      <input name="myfield">
    </form>
  </fillin>

And voila, instant filled in forms..

Note that a small variation to this technique allows for ASP3.0 style
evaluation of forms.

Instead use a 'form' function

 sub form {
 }

Then check the args to see if the param 'runat' is set to 'server'.

If so, do the funky stuff, if not, just spit it out...

--
Paul Lindner
plindner@redhat.com

ASP Autofill RFC [WAS Re: Sticky forms for Apache::ASP]

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Paul Lindner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've worked out a solution to get sticky form fields inside Apache::ASP
>
> We use HTML::FillinForm and a custom tag to get the desired behaviour.
> Put this is in global.asa:

I have thought about integrating this form autofill functionality
into Apache::ASP with the help of HTML::FillInForm, and
think that the best "standardized" way would model the ASP+
method as Paul mentions below with

<form ... runat="server">
</form>

At output time then the buffer will be inspected for
these forms, and autofilled.  Note that this will
probably be a little less efficient than using an
XMLSubsMatch to compile the form tag as a subroutine,
but will be more flexible by not conflicting with
XMLSubs functionality, and allowing ASP code to generate
the runat=server on the fly and affect then fill in
properties in this way.

What do you all think?

--Joshua

Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA