Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2020/03/12 14:40:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop Bucketing Sink

Hi all,

I'm currently investigating a failing end to end test for the bucketing
sink [1].
The bucketing sink has been deprecated in the 1.9 release [2], because we
have the new StreamingFileSink [3] for quite a while.
Before putting any effort into fixing the end to end test for the sink, I
wanted to propose dropping the bucketing sink from master for the upcoming
1.11 release.

What do you think?

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Bucketing Sink

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for bringing up this discussion Robert!

According to the inputs, I suggest we create an umbrella JIRA issue to
track all critical improvements StreamingFileSink should have before we
could completely discard bucketing sink, so we could have a clear view of
the progress and how soon we could achieve the goal. What do you think?

btw, we also need to create sub-tasks to track the known issues, for
example it seems I cannot find any JIRA tracking the ORC support yet.

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
By the way: I have disabled the test in the Hadoop 2.4.1 build, so my
original problem is resolved.

I'm not convinced that posting on the user@ ml is the right approach.
The last few questions to the user@ list asking for feedback have not
really been answered. I believe that we have deprecated the sink for long
enough, also we seem to have a common understanding of missing features we
need to resolve first.
Last but not least, we can always port the bucketing sink to another
repository (apache bahir) and keep compatibility with later Flink versions
there if a lot of users complain once it has been removed.

Posted by Kostas Kloudas <kk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Robert for all this,

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Guowei Ma <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 to drop it.

Posted by jinhai wang <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi

+1 to drop bucketing sink
FLIP-115 also needs to be prioritized for 1.11

在 2020/3/13 上午10:07,“Jingsong Li”<ji...@gmail.com> 写入:

    --
    Best, Jingsong Lee

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Bucketing Sink

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,

--
Best, Jingsong Lee

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Bucketing Sink

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I meant FLIP-46.

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com>.

From:Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>
Send Time:2020 Mar. 12 (Thu.) 23:17
To:dev <de...@flink.apache.org>
Subject:Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Bucketing Sink

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
+1

Aljoscha

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Bucketing Sink

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kostas Kloudas <kk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Hequn Cheng <ch...@gmail.com>.
Good idea! +1 for dropping the BucketingSink.

Best,
Hequn