Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ambarish Malpani <am...@isecurity.com> on 1997/06/26 21:11:45 UTC

Apache NT Performacen (was Re: Apache NT errors)

Oops!!! Screwed up.

Giovanni, can you try to make sure that lingering is set OFF on the
accepted sockets in the server. I had hit this problem on a previous
project and by having lingering turned off, my server behaved
much, much better.

void
lingeroff(int sock)
{
    struct linger l;

    l.l_onoff = 0;
    l.l_linger = 0;

    setsocketopt(sock, SOL_SOCKET, SO_LINGER, (char *)&l, sizeof(l));
}

With this other server I was writing, I know we were able to get
1,000 connections every 10 seconds (run for over 1 hour), so I know
NT is capable of decent performance. I am not sure what setting
lingering off implies for Apache (I know there is some special code
to handle machines that don't have a lingering option for sockets....)

Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:
>
> > with the original sources from Ambarish Malpani, that you can get from
> > ftp.valicert.com, it compile almost cleanly, but under heavy load (between
> > 5 to 15 hits second) it begin to freeze up and slows down at one hit each
> > 3 to 5 seconds or more.
> >

> > I've looked at this trying to figure out why (it was happening to me with
> > a testing robot, every time at some 950 hits after the start).
>
> Verified the same problem with the IIS, so is a Microsoft or my
> configuration problem (NT 4.0 without service pack, 32 MB Ram, P150
> Intel).
>
> > There's known remedies to that?
> >
>  ciao,
>
>  -giovanni

Ambarish Malpani
Architect					       (408) 738-2040
ValiCert, Inc.				      http://www.valicert.com
333 W. El Camino Real, Suite 270
Sunnyvale, CA 94087

Re: Apache NT Performacen (was Re: Apache NT errors)

Posted by Giovanni Maruzzelli <ma...@matrice.it>.
On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Ambarish Malpani wrote:

> Oops!!! Screwed up.
>
> Giovanni, can you try to make sure that lingering is set OFF on the
> accepted sockets in the server. I had hit this problem on a previous
> project and by having lingering turned off, my server behaved
> much, much better.

I've applied your patch throughout http_main.c, I use it with the #ifdef
USE_LINGER_SO (I know, it's just the opposite, but for testing
purposes....) when it start, and in each children (thread) immediatly
after disable_nagle.

I've had mixed results, but this not yet resolve the problem.

I'll look more deeply in that next week, 'cause now I've something has to
be finished by monday (:-(.

ciao,

-giovanni

          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *    MATRICE srl                              *
          *    Information Technology Solutions         *
          *    Giovanni Maruzzelli                      *
          *    tel. (+39)(2)2952 0481                   *
          *    fax  (+39)(2)2952 0528                   *
          *    maruzz@matrice.it                        *
          *    http://www.matrice.it                    *