Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/03/06 14:45:30 UTC

Log capture prototype

Hi,

I've created a basic prototype for capturing device information in
server logs, at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/trunk/prototypes/logcapture/index.html

The httpd.conf file in the same folder contains an example httpd
config that provides information like this in
/tmp/devicemap_access.log (all on one log line):

"GET /devicemap.png?dmap=1
&screen.width=1752
&screen.height=875
&screen.colorDepth=32
&screen.pixelDepth=32
&html5.audio.play=true
&html5.video.play=true
HTTP/1.1"
_DMAP:
x-wap-profile="http://www.htcmms.com.tw/Android/Common/DesireZ/ua-profile.xml"
UA="Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; fr-gb; HTC_DesireZ_A7272
Build/GRI40)..."

By running this on a devicemap server (or any other server -
*.apache.org maybe), we can start capturing information when people to
visit a page that includes the logcapture.js script found in the same
folder (that script can be improved of course).

There's no privacy issue IMO if we collect just the above parameters,
and throw away client IP, referrer and other potentially sensitive
information.

We can then parse those logs and process to generate devicemap repository data.

WDYT?

-Bertrand