Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/26 22:55:52 UTC

Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Eelco and I are really happy to announce the availability of our first
two chapters of our forthcoming book "Wicket in Action".

Chapter 1 is a FREE(!) download for users that subscribe to our new
Apache Wicket user list. First send a message to
users-subscribe@wicket.apache.org and then proceed to download chapter
1 here:

    http://manning.com/dashorst

The book is available through the Manning Early Access Program (MEAP),
which means that you can buy the book right now, and get access to new
chapters as soon as Eelco and I have finished them. When the book is
finished you will receive the full blown marked up e-version, or if
you prefer (and at some extra cost) in a dead tree format.

Chapters 1 and 3 are already available, with chapters 2 and 4
following shortly (within one or two weeks). The other chapters will
be available a bit later, as they still need to be converted from the
Wicket 2.0 constructor change back to Wicket 1.3 (yes we suffer too
from our mistakes!)

Wicket in Action is an authoritative, comprehensive guide for Java
developers building Wicket-based web applications. This book starts
with an introduction to Wicket's structure and components, and moves
quickly into examples of Wicket at work. Written by two of the
project's earliest and most authoritative experts, this book shows you
both the "how-to" and the "why" of Wicket. As you move through the
book, you'll learn to use and customize Wicket components, how to
interact with other technologies like Spring and Hibernate, and how to
build rich, Ajax-driven features into your applications.

Here is the full list of chapters for Wicket in Action:

 1 What is Wicket? (MEAP, FREE)
 2 The architecture of Wicket
 3 Setting up a Wicket project (MEAP)
 4 Building a cheesy Wicket application
 5 Understanding models
 6 Using basic components
 7 Using forms for data entry
 8 Composing your pages
 9 Creating custom components
10 Creating rich components
11 Authorization and authentication
12 Working with resources
13 Localization and internationalization
14 Database driven applications
15 Putting your Wicket application in production
16 Component index

We hope you will enjoy this book!

Eelco Hillenius
Martijn Dashorst

Re: Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, July 27, 2007, 7:02:30 AM, Eelco <ee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/07, David Leangen <wi...@leangen.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've already downloaded the MEAP (and purchased the book in advance,
>> BTW).
>>
>> Maybe this will be the first and only time in my life that I'm the very
>> first to purchase a book. Wow, I'm so excited.

> We are too; our first book sales!

Can you see how many are sold at any particular time?

/Gwyn

Re: Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 7/26/07, David Leangen <wi...@leangen.net> wrote:

> I've already downloaded the MEAP (and purchased the book in advance,
> BTW).
>
> Maybe this will be the first and only time in my life that I'm the very
> first to purchase a book. Wow, I'm so excited.

We are too; our first book sales!

> Anyway, where do I send comments / corrections?

http://www.manning-sandbox.com/forum.jspa?forumID=328

Thanks!

Eelco

Re: Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by David Leangen <wi...@leangen.net>.
I've already downloaded the MEAP (and purchased the book in advance,
BTW).

Maybe this will be the first and only time in my life that I'm the very
first to purchase a book. Wow, I'm so excited.

Anyway, where do I send comments / corrections?

Cheers,
David

Posted by David Leangen <wi...@leangen.net>.
Congratulations, guys!

Re: [Wicket-user] Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/07, Gabor Szokoli <sz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Eelco and I are really happy to announce the availability of our first
> > two chapters of our forthcoming book "Wicket in Action".
>
> Manning does not accept orders from Hungary, where I happen to live and work.
> Normally we don't bother with such businesses and buy from amazon.com
> instead, but the online preview of the Wicket book is worth making an
> exception.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. We have users from every corner of the
world, and tbh, I didn't know of any limitations before. I'm also
surprised Hungary is on that list.

Eelco

Re: [Wicket-user] Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/07, Gabor Szokoli <sz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Manning does not accept orders from Hungary, where I happen to live and work.
> Normally we don't bother with such businesses and buy from amazon.com
> instead, but the online preview of the Wicket book is worth making an
> exception.
> Any suggestions?

Complain at the forum found here:

    http://www.manning-sandbox.com/forum.jspa?forumID=328

Martijn

--
Wicket joins the Apache Software Foundation as Apache Wicket
Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta2 is released

Re: [Wicket-user] Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/07, Swaroop Belur <sw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, i had the same bad luck as  India is not in the choice.
> They asked me to get a paypal account

Great. Largest software country in the world by now? So does it work
with paypal then? For all countries?

Eelco

Re: Re[2]: [Wicket-user] Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by Gabor Szokoli <sz...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/07, Oleg Taranenko <ot...@key-software.com> wrote:

> moreover the payment through a paypal account, that withdraws money from card emitted by a
> russian bank, failed too! :|

They seem to accept visa, mastercard and AMEX, you don't have to use paypal.

Gabor Szokoli

Re[2]: [Wicket-user] Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by Oleg Taranenko <ot...@key-software.com>.
moreover the payment through a paypal account, that withdraws money from card emitted by a
russian bank, failed too! :|

> Well, i had the same bad luck as  India is not in the choice.
> They asked me to get a paypal account

> -swaroop

> On 8/24/07, Gabor Szokoli < szocske@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/26/07, Martijn Dashorst < martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Eelco and I are really happy to announce the availability of our first
>> > two chapters of our forthcoming book "Wicket in Action".
>>
>> Manning does not accept orders from Hungary, where I happen to live and
>> work.
>> Normally we don't bother with such businesses and buy from amazon.com
>> instead, but the online preview of the Wicket book is worth making an
>> exception.
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>> Gabor Szokol

Best regards,
 Oleg                            mailto:otaranenko@key-software.com

Re: [Wicket-user] Wicket in Action now available through Manning Early Access Program

Posted by Swaroop Belur <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gabor Szokoli <sz...@gmail.com>.