Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com> on 2007/06/15 23:27:39 UTC

memory profiling of jackrabbit

Have anyone done any memory profiling of jackrabbit 1.3?

In my webapp, I see the size of "CMs Old Gen" memory increase over
time when there are no requests coming in, and I don't have any other
components running background processes like jackrabbit does.

My repository uses derby persistence and blobs in the filesystem.

I'm including a screenshot of jconsole. Memory usage increases until
the application just freezes with out of memory errors.

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir@pobox.com

Re: memory profiling of jackrabbit

Posted by Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Togeir,

Seeing a constant increase in the size of your old generation does not mean
necessarely that there is a memory problem. It can be some tolerable
background activity that moves references to the old gen.

I would take a look to the old generation size but only after major garbage
collections. If that size does continuously increase after major GCs then
you have a problem.

Cheers,
Martin

Posted by Christoph Kiehl <ck...@sulu3000.de>.
Torgeir Veimo wrote:

> In my webapp, I see the size of "CMs Old Gen" memory increase over time
> when there are no requests coming in, and I don't have any other
> components running background processes like jackrabbit does.
>
> My repository uses derby persistence and blobs in the filesystem.
>
> I'm including a screenshot of jconsole. Memory usage increases until the
> application just freezes with out of memory errors.

Unfortunately it is very hard to guess who consumes your just using
jconsole. Maybe you could try to profile your application with a real
profiler (Yourkit offers a free EA version of their upcoming 7.0
version). There you can calculate the differences between memory
snapshots from which it should be quite easy to identify the cause of
your OOM exceptions.

Cheers,
Christoph