Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Jun Feng Liu <li...@cn.ibm.com> on 2014/12/10 14:47:12 UTC

Tachyon in Spark

Dose Spark today really leverage Tachyon linage to process data? It seems
like the application should call createDependency function in TachyonFS to
create a new linage node. But I did not find any place call that in Spark
code. Did I missed anything?
Best Regards

Jun Feng Liu
IBM China Systems & Technology Laboratory in Beijing

Phone: 86-10-82452683
E-mail: liujunf@cn.ibm.com

BLD 28,ZGC Software Park
No.8 Rd.Dong Bei Wang West, Dist.Haidian Beijing 100193
China

Re: Tachyon in Spark

Posted by Jun Feng Liu <li...@cn.ibm.com>.
Thanks  the response. I got the point - sounds like todays Spark linage
dose not push to Tachyon linage.  Would be good to see how it works.

Jun Feng Liu.

             Haoyuan Li
             <haoyuan.li@gmail
                                       Jun Feng Liu/China/IBM@IBMCN,
                                       Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>,
                                       Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com>,
                                       "dev@spark.apache.org"
                                       <de...@spark.apache.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Tachyon in Spark

Junfeng, by off the heap solution, did you mean "rdd.persist(OFF_HEAP)"?
That feature is different from the lineage feature. You can use this
feature (rdd.persist(OFF_HEAP)) now for any Spark version later than 1.0.0
with Tachyon without a problem.

Regarding Reynold's last email, those are good points. Tachyon had provided
this a while ago. We are working on enhancing this feature and the
integration part with Spark.

Thanks,

Haoyuan

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:06 AM, Jun Feng Liu <li...@cn.ibm.com> wrote:

> I think the linage is the key feature of tachyon to reproduce the RDD
when
> any error happen. Otherwise, there have to be some data replica among
> tachyon nodes to ensure the data redundancy for fault tolerant - I think
> tachyon is avoiding to go to this path. Dose it mean the off-heap
solution
> is not ready yet if tachyon linage dose not work right now?
>
> Best Regards
>

> *Jun Feng Liu*
> IBM China Systems & Technology Laboratory in Beijing
>
>   ------------------------------
>  [image: 2D barcode - encoded with contact information] *Phone:
*86-10-82452683

<dev@spark.apache.org

https://github.com/amplab/tachyon/blob/master/core/src/main/java/tachyon/master/Dependency.java

--