Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2003/01/14 10:16:46 UTC

Your commits to commons-configuration

Hi,

I've seen that you put some classes into commons-sandbox/configuration.
You wrote in the logging message:

--- cut ---
* src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/XmlConfiguration.java
  Removed, renamed to XMLConfiguration.java.
--- cut ---

According to Sun naming rules (and Apache convention), even acronyms are
written in the "first letter caps" rule in method and class names. So
IMHO "XmlConfiguration" is better than "XMLConfiguration".

Same goes for "DOM4JConfiguration" vs. "Dom4JConfiguration".

I'd like to get these class names changed back.

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

Re: Your commits to commons-configuration

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Kurt Schrader <ks...@karmalab.org> writes:

>Either way should be ok.

Fine with me. Can we keep XmlConfiguration then? =:-)

	Regards
		Henning

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- Kurt Schrader <ks...@karmalab.org> wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2003, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
>
> > According to Sun naming rules (and Apache
> convention), even acronyms are
> > written in the "first letter caps" rule in method
> and class names. So
> > IMHO "XmlConfiguration" is better than
> "XMLConfiguration".
> >
> > Same goes for "DOM4JConfiguration" vs.
> "Dom4JConfiguration".
> >
> > I'd like to get these class names changed back.
>
> The Sun naming rules don't say anything about
> acronyms.

Actually they do talk about acroymns in class names,
they just don't seem to pin down the capitalization:

http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc8.html

> Effective Java (pg. 165) says:
>
> There is little consensus as to whether acronyms
> should be uppercase or
> have only their first letter capitalized.
>
> Either way should be ok.
>
> -Kurt

I agree with Henning that the preponderance of Apache
classes seem to use mixed case for acroymns.  Also,
recent Java packages ("javax.servlet",
"javax.servlet.jsp" e.g.) seem to use mixed case, but
older packages (e.g. "java.net") do not.  I think
precedent supports Henning.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog

Re: Your commits to commons-configuration

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@karmalab.org>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On 14 Jan 2003, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> I've seen that you put some classes into commons-sandbox/configuration.
> You wrote in the logging message:
>
> --- cut ---
> * src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/XmlConfiguration.java
>   Removed, renamed to XMLConfiguration.java.
> --- cut ---
>
> According to Sun naming rules (and Apache convention), even acronyms are
> written in the "first letter caps" rule in method and class names. So
> IMHO "XmlConfiguration" is better than "XMLConfiguration".
>
> Same goes for "DOM4JConfiguration" vs. "Dom4JConfiguration".

Neither Sun nor Apache has such a convention applied to acronym names,
Henning.  In fact (the name escapes me ATM), but there's at least one spot
in Sun's JDK where the first-letter-caps version was deprecated in favor of
an all-caps acronym.

> I'd like to get these class names changed back.

I removed one unimplemented class, re-added another with a similar name and
different function in its place, and added an entirely new one to provide an
XML implementation of the Configuration interface.

I'm happy with the names I chose.  Thanks for watching the commits.

- Dan