Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by J Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2004/05/11 19:08:55 UTC

Apache User List Server Now Blocked by SpamCop

Yesterday around 8:30am (US Central Daylight Time) I stopped receiving
mail from the apache groups I was subscribed to.  I've seen a few lulls
in the past, so I didn't think much about it.  But this morning, I
checked my James logs.  Turns out sometime between 8:30am and 10am on
10May SpamCop has decided that the apache.org servers are spammers.  All
mail from both this group and the Ant group (the two I'm currently
following) are being routed to the spam bin based on the SpamCop
matcher.

I know I can turn off SpamCop.  But I think something should be done to
get the apache.org servers removed from their blacklist.

I've read several reports on the net that says SpamCop is a loose cannon
and can't be trusted.  But as long as some servers are blocking mail
based on it, there ought to be a path to get false listings fixed.

Jerry

RE: Apache User List Server Now Blocked by SpamCop

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jerry,

Spamcop blocked the new mail.apache.org server because there was no reverse
DNS setup initially (the server was moved in the wee hours as an emergency
because of hardware failure in the old server, and there was no way to get
the reverse zone setup until the morning).  However, that was cleared up
within a few hours, according to Spamcop, who sent us mail about it.

See: http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=mail.apache.org

If you are not using James 2.2.0RC3 (which is looking very much to be the
final code candidate), you may enounter a problem caused by Sun's DNS code
caching positive responses infinitely.  The new code uses dnsjava for all
lookups, meaning that DNS TTL values are honored.  Restarting James 2.1.3
should clear the cached values.

	--- Noel