Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by davidu <da...@phreedom.net> on 2000/07/18 21:13:13 UTC

Where are mod_perl coders?

Hi,

Our company, like.com, has been looking for some experianced mod_perl
coders.  We have checked most of the major job sites, including guru.com
and have not come across any that have real skills.  Where do all the
mod_perl coders hang out?

Any information would be helpful.  By the way, we are a small company in
the LA area with two openings for mod_perl programmers.  If anyone on this
list in interested, please email me. <da...@phreedom.net>

Thank you,

davidu

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com> writes:

> d> and have not come across any that have real skills.  Where do all the
> d> mod_perl coders hang out?
>
> Well, this week we've been hanging out at the Perl conference 4.0 in
> Monterey.  Many recruiters were hanging out here...

And the going rate was...? ;-)

--
Dave Hodgkinson,                             http://www.hodgkinson.org
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com

RE: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by dreamwvr <dr...@dreamwvr.com>.
Hi Jason,
             well sed and you need to leave dialogue open() to discussion
! disconnect() IYKW?M..
					REgards,
					dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Jason Murphy wrote:

> d> and have not come across any that have real skills.  Where do all the
> d> mod_perl coders hang out?
>
>  (To tell you the truth, I don't know who originally posted this question)
>
>  However, I should point out that when you look for a mod_perl programmer,
> that you be a bit open minded.
> I personally feel there are few mod_perl coders out there that have "real
> skills" when you look at the big picture.
>
> As some others have suggested in other threads that you take a perl coder
> or someone willing to learn and teach them mod_perl. When it comes to
> mod_perl programmers, there is a limited supply.
>

>  Jason Murphy

Reuters, London, February 29, 1998:
Scientists have announced discovering a meteorite which will strike the
earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX coders expressed relief for being
spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038.

************** DREAMWVR.COM - TOTAL INTERNET SERVICES ****************
  TOTAL DESIGN - DEVELOPMENT - INTEGRATION - SECURITY - Click Here..
           <http://www.dreamwvr.com/services/MAX_SEC.html>;
   DREAMWVR.COM - The Console of Many... 90 Topics Covered
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/dynamicduo.html>;
<ma...@dreamwvr.com>;
->> LINUX Solution Provider and North American Distributor<<-
 "===0 PGP Key Available
*************** "As Unique as the Company You Keep."*****************
    "If anyone speaks from DREAMWVR.COM its certainly not me:-)"

RE: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by Jason Murphy <jm...@lawinfo.com>.

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
GPG & MIME spoken here            http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
davidu <da...@phreedom.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Our company, like.com, has been looking for some experianced mod_perl
> coders.  We have checked most of the major job sites, including guru.com
> and have not come across any that have real skills.  Where do all the
> mod_perl coders hang out?

Here mostly :-)

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by Kevin Reichard <kr...@internet.com>.
Stas may have been the most photographed person at the show. Ken Coar took
some group shots of our dinner as well. Sadly, Stas did not dance on that
occasion.

--K.

--

Kevin Reichard
Managing Editor, Linux/Open-Source Channel

Re: Persistant DB Connections

Posted by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu>.
mark@mrmark.com (Mark D Wolinski) wrote:
>Okay, first, I have not read the manual completely...
>
>So, what I'm looking for is where can I find information on the following,
>if possible (I have both the Eagle and can look up the Guide as well)...
>
>I have an app that can't be run under mod_perl right now because it's
>awfully dirty.  However, in working to transition it to a new version which
>uses mySQL, I'm going to fix parts of it to run under mySQL.  Basically get
>the data transfered to the database while the new version is being written.
>
>Is it possible for a very dirty app, and ugly code to benefit from a
>persistant DB connection but not run under mod_perl directly?

Kind of.  Yes, you can usually get dirty apps to run under mod_perl by
using Apache::PerlRun.  Sometimes they're even too dirty for that,
though.  Try it out.

But one question here is whether persistent mysql connections will speed
things up for you.  In my experience: no.  Connecting under mysql is so
fast that there's no need to cache connections.  Oracle, on the other
hand, profits *greatly* from connection caching.

Of course, if you really care about this you ought to test your specific
situations before you decide.

  -------------------                            -------------------
  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum

Persistant DB Connections

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

Matt> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Kevin Reichard wrote:
>> Stas' dancing skills? Any pix? ;)

Matt> God I hope so!

Matt> I think Ask managed to miss him, but Victor took some video (can you mpeg
Matt> that Victor?) and some snaps for certain.

I got a few, but I was rather busy being the kind and gentle host most
of the time.  I don't know if I nailed Stas or not, and it'll be a day
or two before I can start sending those photos out to my "One Hour
Photoshop" processing lab. :)

For those of you that came to my party, thank you for helping make it
a good event!  For those of you that missed it, you'll be jealous when
you start hearing your friends talk about it!

<me...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by Kevin Reichard <kr...@internet.com>.
Stas' dancing skills? Any pix? ;)

--k.

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Re: Where are mod_perl coders?

Posted by Michael J Schout <ms...@gkg.net>.
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, davidu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our company, like.com, has been looking for some experianced mod_perl
> coders.  We have checked most of the major job sites, including guru.com
> and have not come across any that have real skills.  Where do all the
> mod_perl coders hang out?

The shortage and high demand for mod_perl engineers has been discussed quite a
bit in the past here.

There have been 2 long threads discussing this recently.

You will find archives of all of these messages here:

http://perl.apache.org/#jobs

Mike