Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com> on 2011/12/01 10:05:34 UTC

Anyone else get java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space on felix build?

Seem to get these quite a lot on felix build on my machine.

Didn't want to raise a JIRA issue unless it's me being a dumb user and
missing some obvious fix. I noticed a few other Apache projects log
this, and the answer is a simple/logical increase in java memory through
runtime settings. Wondering though if this is needed, maybe our build
settings could include it?

Typically it trips over when it reaches http build of a full/clean build
of SVN trunk e.g.

      [exec] [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.0.2:compile
(default-compile) on project
  org.apache.felix.http.bridge: Compilation failure
      [exec] [ERROR] Failure executing javac, but could not parse the error:
      [exec] [ERROR]
      [exec] [ERROR]
      [exec] [ERROR] The system is out of resources.
      [exec] [ERROR] Consult the following stack trace for details.
      [exec] [ERROR] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
      [exec] [ERROR] at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
org.codehaus.plexus.compiler.javac.IsolatedClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedClassLoader.java:56)
[...]
      [exec] [ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.jvm.Gen.<init>(Gen.java:157)
      [exec] [ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.jvm.Gen.instance(Gen.java:74)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.<init>(JavaCompiler.java:314)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.instance(JavaCompiler.java:72)
      [exec] [ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:340)
      [exec] [ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:279)
      [exec] [ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:270)
      [exec] [ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.compile(Main.java:87)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      [exec] [ERROR] at
      [exec] [ERROR] at
      [exec] [ERROR] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
      [exec] [ERROR] -> [Help 1]
      [exec] [ERROR]
      [exec] [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run
Maven with the -e switch.
      [exec] [ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full
debug logging.
      [exec] [ERROR]
      [exec] [ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible
solutions, please read the following articles:
      [exec] [ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureException
      [exec] [ERROR]
      [exec] [ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the
build with the command
      [exec] [ERROR]   mvn <goals> -rf :org.apache.felix.http.bridge

-- Rob

Ascert - Taking systems to the Edge
robw@ascert.com
+27 87 550 1701
www.ascert.com

[ANSWER] Re: Anyone else get java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space on felix build?

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Cancel that - figured how to ajdust Java opts that MVN uses via
environment vars in my startup shell:

    set M2_HOME=C:\mnt\JavaProgs\apache-maven-3.0.3
    set MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

Working fine now.

- R

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I never build trunk, since it always seems to be problematic...not sure
about this.

-> richard

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Cheers Bram