Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by ja...@sun-rise.com.vn on 2008/05/09 04:39:40 UTC

Requires authentication

1.JAMES run SMTP port 2525
2.I used OutLook Express send a message to port 2525
3.JAMES attach a file into message,then send this messsage to Gmail.
Account i used belong to Gmail.At JAMES how to get accountname,password when OutLook Express send message to JAMES.?What mailet?

Re: Requires authentication

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Stefano Bagnara ha scritto:
> Please note that many servers have spam protections: in this case you
> send a message using the same address for sender and recipient so this
> could be interpreted by yahoo as spam: check your spam folder on yahoo,
> too!

Some of them uses SPF protocol and in this case please make sure that
the domain of your sender address has not restrictive SPF records
associated or you may not be entitled in sending mails from that
addresses from your own server.

e.g:
[root@elysia ~]# host -t txt gmail.com.
gmail.com descriptive text "v=spf1 redirect=_spf.google.com"
[root@elysia ~]# host -t txt googlemail.com.
googlemail.com descriptive text "v=spf1 redirect=_spf.google.com"
[root@elysia ~]# host -t txt yahoo.com.
yahoo.com has no TXT record

(you should also check SPF records, and not only TXT records).

The summary is that if you use a gmail address as sender, and you send
your message from an IP that is not a gmail server and the receiving
server supports the SPF protocol then they will recognize you may be
forging the sender address and reject/mark as spam your mail.

Stefano

Re: Requires authentication

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
james_mail@sun-rise.com.vn ha scritto:
> Can you make a specific example including mail from, mail to, IP/names
> of the hosts involved.
> If the recipient is on gmail you DON'T need authentication to send the
> mail.
> #######################################################################
> An example of ours is that:
> from: hiepsi.vodanh@yahoo.com
> to: hiepsi.vodanh@yahoo.com
> SMTP Server: James Mail
> SMTP Port: 2525 (James Mail ll open port 2525 instead of default port of
> 25)
>
> However, from this step, the James Mail does not send the mail to
> hiepsi.vodanh@yahoo.com, what it does is
>
> 1) Receive the email
>
> 2) Attaching an image to the mail
>
> 3) Send that email using another MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) / SMTP Server
> which in this case is Yahoo Mail Server.
>
> However, assume that Yahoo s a Mail Server that requires SMTP AUTH
> before SMTP. Then we ll need to to get the username, password in Step 1
> so that it can take that value to send to Yahoo.
>
> Yahoo in this case s just a analogy of a SMTP AUTH required Mail Server.
>
> That s what I mean.

WRONG. I keep telling you that you don't need SMTP AUTH to send to an
SMTP server a message destinated to a recient in its own domains!

What you are trying to do is the DEFAULT configuration of JAMES.
Just install it, create an user in JAMES, use authentication to send
messages to JAMES (like you already do). JAMES will relay messages to
the appropriate host and it won't need any further auth for this.

You will see the message in the host.

Posted by ja...@sun-rise.com.vn.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
james_mail@sun-rise.com.vn ha scritto:

> I am developing a MailRelay application,I use JAMES to do work.
> When I send mail from Mail Client to SMTP Server that requires
> authentication,JAMES is a Mail Relay between and  "the SMTP AUTH
> required SMTP Server".

There is no such things like "mail relay" with "authentication relaying".

> Describe application:
>
> 1.I used OutLook Express(OE) with account of "the SMTP AUTH required
> SMTP Server" for send mail.

And here you use a JAMES account credentials.

> 2.OE will send this mail to port 2525,as well as port SMTP of JAMES
> listening.JAMES will receive this mail and
>
> attach file Image or text into mail.Then JAMES continous transfer mail
> to Server "the SMTP AUTH required SMTP Server","the SMTP AUTH required
> SMTP Server" will send this mail
>
> to recipient.
>
> Problem here be "the SMTP AUTH required SMTP Server" will requires
> authentication account of sender before send mail.

Can you make a specific example including mail from, mail to, IP/names
of the hosts involved.
If the recipient is on gmail you DON'T need authentication to send the mail.

> 1.If I am taken OE is sent mail to "the SMTP AUTH required SMTP
> Server","the SMTP AUTH required SMTP Server" will send this mail to
> recipient.(OK)

> *which way to get username and password of mails sent from a MUA (Mail
> User Agent such as OE) to JAMES?

Sorry I don't undestand what you say.

Please describe the issue your MailRelay application should solve, maybe
we better understand what is your problem.

Stefano

Re: Requires authentication

Posted by ja...@sun-rise.com.vn.
I am developing a MailRelay application,I use JAMES to do work.
When I send mail from Mail Client to SMTP Server that requires
authentication,JAMES is a Mail Relay between and  "the SMTP AUTH required
SMTP Server".

Describe application:

1.I used OutLook Express(OE) with account of "the SMTP AUTH required SMTP
Server" for send mail.

2.OE will send this mail to port 2525,as well as port SMTP of JAMES
listening.JAMES will receive this mail and

attach file Image or text into mail.Then JAMES continous transfer mail to
Server "the SMTP AUTH required SMTP Server","the SMTP AUTH required SMTP
Server" will send this mail

to recipient.

Problem here be "the SMTP AUTH required SMTP Server" will requires
authentication account of sender before send mail.

1.If I am taken OE is sent mail to "the SMTP AUTH required SMTP Server","the
SMTP AUTH required SMTP Server" will send this mail to recipient.(OK)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.