Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Morten Lied Johansen <mo...@funcom.com> on 2005/06/24 14:03:22 UTC

Meaning of attributes in .svn/entries

Hello

I'm wondering if anyone could give me a quick explanation about the
difference between commited-rev and revision in an entry in the
.svn/entries file?

I'm working with some code that extracts these two for use in the build
process, but nobody here is entirely sure about which one they really
wanted, because nobody is entirely sure what the difference between them
is.. :)

I'm not subscribed to the list at this location, so please Cc: me your
reply. Thanks.

--
Morten Lied Johansen
When A Compiler Accepts A Program Without Error On The First Run, The

Re: Meaning of attributes in .svn/entries

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Morten Lied Johansen wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm wondering if anyone could give me a quick explanation about the
> difference between commited-rev and revision in an entry in the
> .svn/entries file?
>
> I'm working with some code that extracts these two for use in the build
> process, but nobody here is entirely sure about which one they really
> wanted, because nobody is entirely sure what the difference between them
> is.. :)

Be aware that the *safe* way to do this is to run "svn info".

Peeking in .svn directories is definitely a little dodgy as far as
compatibility guarantees are concerned.

Plus, "svn info" gives more user-oriented labels:

revision => Revision:
committed-rev => Last Changed Rev:

Max.

Re: Meaning of attributes in .svn/entries

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 24, 2005, at 9:03 AM, Morten Lied Johansen wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm wondering if anyone could give me a quick explanation about the
> difference between commited-rev and revision in an entry in
> the .svn/entries file?

Committed-rev is the "last revision in which the file changed".

Revision is the "current working revision of the file."

Re: Meaning of attributes in .svn/entries

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/24/05, Morten Lied Johansen <mo...@funcom.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm wondering if anyone could give me a quick explanation about the
> difference between commited-rev and revision in an entry in the
> .svn/entries file?
>
> I'm working with some code that extracts these two for use in the build
> process, but nobody here is entirely sure about which one they really
> wanted, because nobody is entirely sure what the difference between them
> is.. :)
> --

Not sure it is a safe bet to use this information by looking in the
.svn file. Why not just do an "svn info" to get the information you
want?

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com