Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/09 15:56:52 UTC

Memory leak in servicemix

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18362233/memoryleak.rar memoryleak.rar

Hi,

  I have been testing servicemix for memory leaks on a linux server. I
deployed servicemix in linux machine. The installaton did not contain any
su's or sa's in it, just the basic installation. The machine had not been
touched during the testing. Jconsole was used to find about the memory
consumption.

  I found out that inspite of the non usage of servicemix the consumption
has steadily increased. The observation has been captured in the graph
attached to the post.

This means that the servicemix has to be restarted quite frequently to
release the memory for other application in a production environment. This
would reduce availability and woud be detrimental in the production
environment.

  Let me know what can be done about it.

Regards,
Ganesh

Re: Memory leak in servicemix

Posted by navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

  I am unable to see the attachment of the Jconsole graph that you have
posted. Can you post it again.

  I am using windowsXP servicepack 2.

Regards,
Ganesh

Posted by Manuel EVENO <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com>.
The details of the java VM

  java version "1.5.0_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_09-b03)

Ganesh

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: Memory leak in servicemix

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Upgrade you JDK.
This is a known problem in some versions, see

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 6:51 AM, navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18522574/apachememory.rar apachememory.rar
>
> Hi Gnodet,
>
>  I have taken two snapshots using the yourkit memory profiler. First
> snapshot was taken after 30 minutes from starting servicemix and the second
> was taken after 12 hours. I am unable to post the snap shots themselves
> since they occupy a lot of space. So i have taken screen shots of the
> comparison and am attaching it to the post.
>
>  The memoryleak.bmp is the classlist view of the snapshot comparison. It
> shows that the cause of leak is the object
> "java.util.concorrunt.locks.AbstractQueueSynchroniser$node" and the other
> classtreeview of the comparison.
>
>  Let me know what to do next.
>
> Regards,
> Ganesh
>

> gnodet wrote:
>>
>> One thing that would be really helpful is if you could create snaphots
>> using Yourkit for example (you can obtain a free evaluation license
>> for 15 days) and run it on windows and linux.
>> Then start servicemix, connect with yourkit, create a memory snapshot
>> and activate memory profiling.  A few hours later, grab another
>> snapshot and you can compare both snapshots to detect leaking objects.
>>  That should show what those leaking objects are where they are
>> allocated.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 7:49 AM, navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Gnodet,
>>>
>>>  I am using servicemix 3.2.1.version. I have been using servicemix in
>>> both
>>> windows and linux platforms. I have not tested  it on mach since in our
>>> case
>>> its intended to be used either in windows or linux.
>>>
>>>  Since you were not able to reproduce the leak in your environment, there
>>> can be two possible explanations
>>>
>>>  1.  As you pointed out, it may be a platform issue.  The memory leaks
>>> are
>>> happening  in linux and windows platform. If the leak needs to be
>>> reproduced, then either one of these platforms have to be used.
>>>
>>>  How to fix the platform specific memory leak problems? Pls let me know.
>>>
>>>  2.  There is some problem with the testing methodology that I have used.
>>>
>>>   I have downloaded servicemix from the following link
>>>
>>>   http://servicemix.apache.org/download.html
>>>
>>>  Unzippped it. I started servicemix. Opened jconsole in the local
>>> machine.
>>> It was pointing to servicemix.
>>>
>>>  Do I need to do any configuration in servicemix to prevent memory leaks.
>>> Am I missing something here?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ganesh

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
One thing that would be really helpful is if you could create snaphots
using Yourkit for example (you can obtain a free evaluation license
for 15 days) and run it on windows and linux.
Then start servicemix, connect with yourkit, create a memory snapshot
and activate memory profiling.  A few hours later, grab another
snapshot and you can compare both snapshots to detect leaking objects.
 That should show what those leaking objects are where they are
allocated.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 7:49 AM, navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gnodet,
>
>  I am using servicemix 3.2.1.version. I have been using servicemix in both
> windows and linux platforms. I have not tested  it on mach since in our case
> its intended to be used either in windows or linux.
>
>  Since you were not able to reproduce the leak in your environment, there
> can be two possible explanations
>
>  1.  As you pointed out, it may be a platform issue.  The memory leaks are
> happening  in linux and windows platform. If the leak needs to be
> reproduced, then either one of these platforms have to be used.
>
>  How to fix the platform specific memory leak problems? Pls let me know.
>
>  2.  There is some problem with the testing methodology that I have used.
>
>   I have downloaded servicemix from the following link
>
>   http://servicemix.apache.org/download.html
>
>  Unzippped it. I started servicemix. Opened jconsole in the local machine.
> It was pointing to servicemix.
>
>  Do I need to do any configuration in servicemix to prevent memory leaks.
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Regards,
> Ganesh
>
> gnodet wrote:
>>
>> It's now 1 day and a half and no sign of memory leak.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've done some testing again with servicemix 3.2.1 using a profile for
>>> 17 hours and found no memory increase at all.
>>> Do you use 3.2.1 too ? If so, it may be a platform specific problem.

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I've done some testing again with servicemix 3.2.1 using a profile for
17 hours and found no memory increase at all.
Do you use 3.2.1 too ? If so, it may be a platform specific problem.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:33 PM, navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18401850/memory.rar memory.rar
>
> Hi Gnodet,
>
>  I am attaching the results of memory testing of servicemix on windows.
> Again like the previous time, servicemix was unzipped to a windows machine.
> No su's or sa's were added. The installation was a basic installation.
> Jconsole was used to test.
>
>  The zip file containes the result of memory testing. Of the two .bmp files
> contained, first is based on observation for an hour. As you pointed out,
> memory leak is not visible in this case.
>
>  The second .bmp file is based on a observation for 5 hours. It clearly the
> increase in memory consumption over a period of time. Hence I believe that
> there is a small memory leakage somewhere that snowballs into a huge memory
> consumption over a period of time.
>
>  Its not possible to use servicemix in production environment in this
> circumstance since this requires running servicemix for days together
> continuously. Its a serious issue. Please let me know what can be done in
> this case.
>
> Regards,
> Ganesh
>

>  I have
>
> gnodet wrote:
>>
>> Which version of servicemix do you use ? I've done some testing on
>> 3.2.1 on my mac during a bit more than one hour and found no memory
>> increase at all.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:56 PM, navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18362233/memoryleak.rar memoryleak.rar
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I have been testing servicemix for memory leaks on a linux server. I
>>> deployed servicemix in linux machine. The installaton did not contain any
>>> su's or sa's in it, just the basic installation. The machine had not been
>>> touched during the testing. Jconsole was used to find about the memory
>>> consumption.
>>>
>>>  I found out that inspite of the non usage of servicemix the consumption
>>> has steadily increased. The observation has been captured in the graph
>>> attached to the post.
>>>
>>> This means that the servicemix has to be restarted quite frequently to
>>> release the memory for other application in a production environment.
>>> This
>>> would reduce availability and woud be detrimental in the production
>>> environment.
>>>
>>>  Let me know what can be done about it.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ganesh
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi gnodet,

  I am using servicemix 3.2.1 version. This installation is in linux machine
( donno if this makes a difference) compared to your mach.

   I analysed the graph (of one hour duration) yesterday  and I too did not
find any memory leaks. Objects are created(rise in the graph) and they are
garbage collected (fall in the graph). However close observation shows that
the rise and fall are not equal. There is a slight difference which
cumulates and magnifies over a longer period of time. I would suggest
conducting memory test for atleast a day since from the graph it is clear
that the memory leak happens in small amounts. Over short periods it is
hardly visible.

Regards,
Ganesh

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Which version of servicemix do you use ? I've done some testing on
3.2.1 on my mac during a bit more than one hour and found no memory
increase at all.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:56 PM, navigator09 <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18362233/memoryleak.rar memoryleak.rar
>
> Hi,
>
>  I have been testing servicemix for memory leaks on a linux server. I
> deployed servicemix in linux machine. The installaton did not contain any
> su's or sa's in it, just the basic installation. The machine had not been
> touched during the testing. Jconsole was used to find about the memory
> consumption.
>
>  I found out that inspite of the non usage of servicemix the consumption
> has steadily increased. The observation has been captured in the graph
> attached to the post.
>
> This means that the servicemix has to be restarted quite frequently to
> release the memory for other application in a production environment. This
> would reduce availability and woud be detrimental in the production
> environment.
>
>  Let me know what can be done about it.
>
> Regards,
> Ganesh