Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <le...@solutti.com.br> on 2008/05/03 17:51:32 UTC

whitelisting webmail application

    Hello Guys,

    im running SA 3.2.4 and, on the same machine, horde/imp as webmail
application.

    Sometimes, mails sent through imp are getting flagged as SPAM
because of RBL checks, for example:

 pts rule name              description
 0.3 TVD_RCVD_SINGLE        TVD_RCVD_SINGLE
 3.0 BOTNET_IPINHOSTNAME    Hostname contains its own IP address
[botnet_ipinhosntame,ip=201.67.93.102,rdns=201-67-93-102.gnace704.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br]
 0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY      Informational: message has unparseable relay lines
 5.0 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
                            [201.67.93.102 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
 0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS

 pts rule name              description
 5.0 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
                            [201.11.150.2 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
 5.0 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
 1.6 TVD_RCVD_IP            TVD_RCVD_IP
 0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS

    Well .... in fact i would like my webmail sent applications to be
considered 'trusted' and not pass through SA rules, but i dont know how
to do that. I think i'm having this kind of behavior because IMP is
inserting Received: headers with real ip users apparently when remote IP
has reverse and always with X-Originating-IP

(with remote IP address as X-Originating-IP)

Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 11:34:55 -0300
From: myuser@solutti.com.br
To: otheruser@solutti.com.br
Subject: proposta comercial
    .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

(with remote IP address sa Received: header)

Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 12:22:55 -0300
From: myuser@solutti.com.br
To: otheruser@solutti.com.br
Subject: teste
    rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14

    Question is ... how would be the correct way of whitelisting my
local sent messages through webmail ?

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues

	gertrudes@solutti.com.br
	My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

Re: whitelisting webmail application

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> does users us smtp auth ?

Not the OP, but he *did* say this is from webmail.  Presumably it's a
little hard to send mail from his webmail setup unless you're logged in...

(IIRC SA includes rules to look for Horde/IMP and Squirrelmail [at
least] Received: headers and considers them properly for the trust path.)

-kgd

Re: whitelisting webmail application

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Sun, May 4, 2008 01:55, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:
> I think you got it wrong .... this 201.11.150.2 is my customer,
> which really is in a DSL dynamic ip address line. This is NOT my mail
> server. My mail server is on a static ip address which has no problem at
> all with RBLs.

does users us smtp auth ?

> The problem is, as reported, that messages sent through webmail are
> getting RBL checked and maybe, sometimes, my customers can be on some
> RBL-listed IP address. Even on those cases, i would like webmail-sent
> messages to not trigger RBL checks, so my questions on what would be the
> best/correct way of whitelisting it.

no whitelist is needed since users mails will origin from your ip

if onsure, put mail sample on a pastebin somewhere and post the link to
maillist here

> Anyway, thanks for your reply and have a nice weekend !

np

Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: whitelisting webmail application

Posted by Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <le...@solutti.com.br>.

Nigel Frankcom escreveu:
> On Sat, 03 May 2008 12:51:32 -0300, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães
> <le...@solutti.com.br> wrote:
>

>>    Hello Guys,
>>
>>    im running SA 3.2.4 and, on the same machine, horde/imp as webmail
>> application.
>>
>>    Sometimes, mails sent through imp are getting flagged as SPAM
>> because of RBL checks, for example:
>>
>> Content analysis details:   (8.4 points, 8.0 required)
>>
>> pts rule name              description
>> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>> 0.3 TVD_RCVD_SINGLE        TVD_RCVD_SINGLE
>> 3.0 BOTNET_IPINHOSTNAME    Hostname contains its own IP address
>> [botnet_ipinhosntame,ip=201.67.93.102,rdns=201-67-93-102.gnace704.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br]
>> 0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY      Informational: message has unparseable relay lines
>> 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>> 5.0 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>>                            [201.67.93.102 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
>> 0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS
>>

>> Content analysis details:   (11.7 points, 8.0 required)
>>
>> pts rule name              description
>> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>> 5.0 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>>                            [201.11.150.2 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
>> 5.0 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
>>

> Before you worry about whitelisting your own stuff, the Spamhaus
> listing would need to be resolved.
>
> If you are on a static IP you might ask your isp to supply an rdns
> entry and then attempt to get things resolved with Spamhaus.
>
> If you do both of those you will probably not hit either of the issues
> you show above (and below).

    Hi Nigel,

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.com>.

Posted by Paul Griffith <pa...@cse.yorku.ca>.
On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:51:32 -0400, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <le...@solutti.com.br> wrote:

>     Hello Guys,
>
>     im running SA 3.2.4 and, on the same machine, horde/imp as webmail
> application.
>
>     Sometimes, mails sent through imp are getting flagged as SPAM
> because of RBL checks, for example:
>
> Content analysis details:   (8.4 points, 8.0 required)
>
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>  0.3 TVD_RCVD_SINGLE        TVD_RCVD_SINGLE
>  3.0 BOTNET_IPINHOSTNAME    Hostname contains its own IP address
> [botnet_ipinhosntame,ip=201.67.93.102,rdns=201-67-93-102.gnace704.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br]
>  0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY      Informational: message has unparseable relay lines
>  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>  5.0 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>                             [201.67.93.102 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
>  0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS
>

> Content analysis details:   (11.7 points, 8.0 required)
>
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>  5.0 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>                             [201.11.150.2 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
>  5.0 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
>  1.6 TVD_RCVD_IP            TVD_RCVD_IP
>  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>  0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS
>

>     Well .... in fact i would like my webmail sent applications to be
> considered 'trusted' and not pass through SA rules, but i dont know how
> to do that. I think i'm having this kind of behavior because IMP is
> inserting Received: headers with real ip users apparently when remote IP
> has reverse and always with X-Originating-IP

..snip...

>     Question is ... how would be the correct way of whitelisting my
> local sent messages through webmail ?

Do you have you your mail server and your horde host listed in your internal_networks and trusted_network ?

See:
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#network_test_options

Cheers,
Paul