Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2009/08/01 05:44:22 UTC

Re: FindBugs analysis before the 1.3 release

Greg,

Thanks for catching that this thread should have not been posted on private.
Just to re-iterate why...

All development discussions, and decisions around it, at Apache happens in
public, full transparency and available to all. That means, no face-to-face
elaborations, no I'M, no phone calls and no private messages that concerns
the community. Of course, people do meet, chat and what not, but as soon as
a bit of info surface in such, that should be relayed to community and
invitation to all to participate. It can't be a handed down solution and
decision.

Now, there are a few typical exceptions, that the PMC normally deal with in
private,

A. Discussions about individuals, since some people are not comfortable
talking 'about' someone else that is present. This incl committer and PMC
member votes.

B. Security issues where spreading the knowledge too wide is a problem/risk.

C. When a 3rd party request private discussions, and can't be talked into
making it in public.

I'm sure there are other cases that I can't recall off-head.

So far, the Pivot community is doing good on this issue, especially
considering Greg's and Todd's historically close collaboration on the
project.

Cheers
Niclas

On Jul 31, 2009 10:41 PM, "Greg Brown" <gk...@mac.com> wrote:

FYI, this belongs on pivot-dev, not pivot-private.

FindBugs seems to generate a lot of false positives. See if you can reduce
the signal/noise ratio and let us know if there's anything in there that
looks like it might be a real problem.

On Jul 31, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Sandro Martini wrote: > Hi to all, > I've done
(another time) an a...