Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by dan whelan <da...@adicio.com> on 2011/06/03 17:46:46 UTC

fq null pointer exception

I am noticing something strange with our recent upgrade to solr 3.1 and
want to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

I have a solr.StrField field named Status the values are Enabled,
Disabled, or ''

When I facet on that field it I get

Enabled 4409565
Disabled 29185
"" 112

The issue is when I do a filter query

This query works

select/?q=*:*&fq=Status:"Enabled"

But when I run this query I get a NPE

select/?q=*:*&fq=Status:"Disabled"

Here is part of the stack trace

Problem accessing /solr/global_accounts/select/. Reason:
     null

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.apache.solr.response.XMLWriter.writePrim(XMLWriter.java:828)
     at org.apache.solr.response.XMLWriter.writeStr(XMLWriter.java:686)
     at org.apache.solr.schema.StrField.write(StrField.java:49)
     at org.apache.solr.schema.SchemaField.write(SchemaField.java:125)
     at org.apache.solr.response.XMLWriter.writeDoc(XMLWriter.java:369)
     at org.apache.solr.response.XMLWriter$3.writeDocs(XMLWriter.java:545)
     at
org.apache.solr.response.XMLWriter.writeDocuments(XMLWriter.java:482)
     at org.apache.solr.response.XMLWriter.writeDocList(XMLWriter.java:519)
     at org.apache.solr.response.XMLWriter.writeVal(XMLWriter.java:582)
     at org.apache.solr.response.XMLWriter.writeResponse(XMLWriter.java:131)
     at
org.apache.solr.response.XMLResponseWriter.write(XMLResponseWriter.java:35)

Dan

Re: fq null pointer exception

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
Dan, this doesn't really have anything to do with your filter on the
Status field except that it causes different documents to be selected.
The root cause is a schema mismatch with your index.
A string field (or so the schema is saying it's a string field) is
returning "null" for a value, which is impossible (null values aren't
stored... they are simply missing).
This can happen when the field is actually stored as binary (as is the
case for numeric fields).  So my guess is that a field that was
previously a numeric field is now declared to be of type string by the
current schema.

You can try varying the "fl" parameter to see what field is causing
the issue, or try luke or the luke request handler for a lower-level
view of the index.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Right, so now try adding different fields and see which one breaks it again.
Then you know which field is a problem and you can dig deeper around that field.

Otis
----

Posted by dan whelan <da...@adicio.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.