Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shankar Unni <sh...@netscape.net> on 2004/09/29 02:43:57 UTC

Using XInclude in tomcat's config files

Is it possible to configure Tomcat to be able to use XInclude to include
fragments of XML into Tomcat's own configuration files (server.xml, the
various webapp web.xml's, etc.)?

If so, can anyone point me at any HOWTOs or helpful messages? I've tried
searching the archives, but everything I see is about deploying
applications that need to use xinclude..

Thanks!

Re: Using XInclude in tomcat's config files

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 02:35:35PM -0700, Shankar Unni wrote:
: >Is it possible to configure Tomcat to be able to use XInclude to include
: >fragments of XML into Tomcat's own configuration files (server.xml, the
: >various webapp web.xml's, etc.)?
:
: Bump? No one's tried this yet?

I'll give it a try: do the include magic at build time, with some clever
(or not-so-clever) Ant action.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: Using XInclude in tomcat's config files

Posted by Shankar Unni <sh...@netscape.net>.
Shankar Unni wrote:

>> Haven't tried it, but have you set the:
>> org.xml.sax.parser=org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeParserConfiguration
>
> Ah. No. Thanks for that clue. Let me go back at it..

Alas, that didn't help. I tried setting both org.xml.sax.parser and
org.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration (the latter one
being the one described in the Xerces XInclude FAQ at
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xinclude.html) on the java command
line to "org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeParserConfiguration", but
neither seems to have had the least effect.

The

     <xi:include href="../../../etc/tomcat/dbparams.xml"
                 xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude"/>

is completely ignored in my server.xml, and it is as if this directive
weren't even present. (The file contains a <ResourceParams> root element
for insertion into the <Context> that I've declared in server.xml).

Anything else I can try?

Re: Using XInclude in tomcat's config files

Posted by Shankar Unni <sh...@netscape.net>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Shankar Unni wrote:

> Shankar Unni wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to configure Tomcat to be able to use XInclude to
>> include fragments of XML into Tomcat's own configuration files
>> (server.xml, the various webapp web.xml's, etc.)?
>

> Bump? No one's tried this yet?

Haven't tried it, but have you set the:

org.xml.sax.parser=org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeParserConfiguration

?

best,
-Rob

Re: Using XInclude in tomcat's config files

Posted by Shankar Unni <sh...@netscape.net>.
Shankar Unni wrote:
> Is it possible to configure Tomcat to be able to use XInclude to include
> fragments of XML into Tomcat's own configuration files (server.xml, the
> various webapp web.xml's, etc.)?

Bump? No one's tried this yet?