Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Mark Evans (Anaheim)" <me...@Printrak.com> on 2001/12/18 02:11:48 UTC

Help on xml config files

Okay, I got the xml configuration stuff figured out.  When using the default
log4j.configuration (via that system property), you can specify either a
property file or an xml file.  However, if you choose to call a configurator
yourself, you have to call the right one.  Call DOMConfigurator with an XML
file and PropertyConfigurator with a properties file.

That's why my program worked with the -Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.xml or
-Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.config (a properties file).  That's also why my
program didn't work passing an xml file to PropertyConfigurator (thus the
name "property" configurator).  I'm just a little slow...

I'd still like some more details on the format of the XML file.  It seems
like you can define appenders multiple places, then reference them other
places.

--Mark