Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bheemanagouda A <bm...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/22 19:52:14 UTC

This is very likely to create a memory leak (Tomcat 8.5.8)

I am seeing these warnings in catalina.out while stopping the tomcat.
Why these errors appearing? Are these harmful? Is simplewebapp actually
leaking memory by not stopping threads? Thanks in Advance.

WARNING [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.
WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application
[simplewebapp] appears to have started a thread named [pool-3-thread-5] but
has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack
trace of thread:
 sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
 java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos(LockSupport.java:215)
 java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue$TransferStack.awaitFulfill(
SynchronousQueue.java:460)
 java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue$TransferStack.transfer(
SynchronousQueue.java:362)
 java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue.poll(SynchronousQueue.java:941)
 java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(
ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1066)
 java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(
ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1127)
 java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(
ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
 java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Kind Regards,
Bheemanagouda

Re: This is very likely to create a memory leak (Tomcat 8.5.8)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/01/2017 19:52, Bheemanagouda A wrote:
> I am seeing these warnings in catalina.out while stopping the tomcat.
> Why these errors appearing? Are these harmful? Is simplewebapp actually
> leaking memory by not stopping threads? Thanks in Advance.

This should answer those questions:
http://home.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2010-11-04-Memory-Leaks-60mins.pdf

Mark