Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2008/08/30 00:28:10 UTC

git clone of hadoop core?

Has anyone succeeded in using git-svn to clone the Hadoop core
subversion repository with branches? I tried it and it failed. I got
the following logs. Any suggestions?

-- Owen

% git svn init -s http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core
Initialized empty Git repository in /export/hadoop-clone/.git/
Using higher level of URL: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core
=> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf

% git svn fetch
W: Ignoring error from SVN, path probably does not exist: (160013):
Filesystem has no item: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/bc/
100':
File not found: revision 100, path '/hadoop/core'

W: Do not be alarmed at the above message git-svn is just searching
aggressively for old history.
This may take a while on large repositories
Found possible branch point: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/hadoop/trunk
  => http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core/trunk, 614596
Initializing parent: trunk@614596
W: Ignoring error from SVN, path probably does not exist: (160013):
Filesystem has no item: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/bc/
101':
File not found: revision 101, path '/lucene/hadoop/trunk'

W: Do not be alarmed at the above message git-svn is just searching
aggressively for old history.
This may take a while on large repositories
RA layer request failed: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/
default': REPORT of '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default': 403 Forbidden (http://svn.apache.org
) at /home/oom/tools/libexec/git-core//git-svn line 3955

Re: git clone of hadoop core?

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.
I got the clone of trunk working too. No luck getting the branches
with -s though... I even tried adding a -r with the revision just
after hbase was taken out to the fetch, which gets a different error.

-- Owen

Re: git clone of hadoop core?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Christophe Taton wrote:
> Hi Owen,
>
> I use: git-svn clone http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core/trunk
> This is a *very* long operation which will download ~70Mb from the svn.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Cheers,
> Christophe

There's an EU hosted SVN server too, svn.eu.apache.org; this passes back
all writes to the main svn server but serves up reads from its
(synchronized) cache. Its closer geographically for anyone in the EU and
nearby areas, and should put less load on the central servers than
grabbing a 70mb fetch, so infrastructure are less likely to block the
operation.

before doing a 70MB download, ping the sites and see which is closer/faster.

-steve

Re: git clone of hadoop core?

Posted by Christophe Taton <ta...@apache.org>.
Hi Owen,

Re: git clone of hadoop core?

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
very cool, thanks..

btw, looks like rudimentary clones have already been made (but haven't
tried cloning any yet).

--
Chris K Wensel
chris@wensel.net

Re: git clone of hadoop core?

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Owen O'Malley wrote:
 > Once I have a set of repositories for hadoop core, zookeeper, and pig,
 > I'll try to figure out someplace to post them.

github would be great but it looks like "free for open source" is only
available up to 100mb. perhaps they would make an exception...

http://github.com/plans

Patrick

Re: git clone of hadoop core?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Performance of svn.eu.apache.org should be better since the load is
generally lower on that server.  Git can place big demands on svn, and
is thus discouraged on the primary server and encouraged on the eu mirror.

Doug

Re: git clone of hadoop core?

Re: git clone of hadoop core?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.