Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Gabor Kaszab <ga...@apache.org> on 2023/05/03 12:01:07 UTC

Re: Impala Board Report due by Wed May 10th - Initial Reminder

Hey,

I've submitted the following board report. Let me know if I missed anything!

The mission of Apache Impala is the creation and maintenance of software
related to a high-performance distributed SQL engine

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Impala was founded 2017-11-15 (5 years ago)
There are currently 66 committers and 38 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 9:5.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Andrew Sherman was added to the PMC on 2023-04-21
- Fang-Yu Rao was added as committer on 2023-03-10

Inactive PMC members:
After the recent message from the ASF Board about PMC member
responsibilities
we've identified 13 PMC members who are not subscribed to the project's
private@
mailing list. We sent them an initial reminder about their responsibilities
hoping they would become active again.

## Project Activity:
4.1.2 was released on 2023-04-10.
4.2.0 was released 2022-12-12.

The Impala community had implemented the following over the last three
months:
- Bug fixes for nested types handling
- Various improvements on the Web UI
- Apache Iceberg support improvements
- Apache Kudu support improvements
- Fix for incorrectly written Iceberg test data
- Added Hive's ESRI geospatial functions
- Document changes
- Various performance improvements
- Improved logging for different existing features
- Apache Ozone support improvements
- Introduced support for OBS file system
- Various test fixes
- Switch to C++17
- Bumped versions for various dependencies
- Improved decision making in query Planner
- Various improvements for Python3 support
- Fixes and improvements for impala-shell

## Community Health:
reviews@ is the most reliable metric of Impala community activity level.
There
were 3606 emails to that list in February, March and April together. This
is one
of the highest numbers for a quarter in recent years. Impala remains a
vibrant
project.