Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Siddharth Tiwari <si...@live.com> on 2012/08/28 18:24:11 UTC

Hadoop and MainFrame integration

Hi Users.

We have flat files on mainframes with around a billion records. We need to sort them and then use them with different jobs on mainframe for report generation. I was wondering was there any way I could integrate the mainframe with hadoop do the sorting and keep the file on the sever itself ( I do not want to ftp the file to a hadoop cluster and then ftp back the sorted file to Mainframe as it would waste MIPS and nullify the advantage ). This way I could save on MIPS and ultimately improve profitability.

Thank you in advance

*------------------------*

Cheers !!!

Siddharth Tiwari

Have a refreshing day !!!

Re: Hadoop and MainFrame integration

Posted by Mathias Herberts <ma...@gmail.com>.
build a custom transfer mechanism in Java and use a zaap so you won't
consume mips

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 28 August 2012 09:24, Siddharth Tiwari <si...@live.com> wrote:

>  Hi Users.
>
> We have flat files on mainframes with around a billion records. We need to
> sort them and then use them with different jobs on mainframe for report
> generation. I was wondering was there any way I could integrate the
> mainframe with hadoop do the sorting and keep the file on the sever itself
> ( I do not want to ftp the file to a hadoop cluster and then ftp back the
> sorted file to Mainframe as it would waste MIPS and nullify the advantage
> ). This way I could save on MIPS and ultimately improve profitability.

Can you NFS-mount the mainframe filesystem from the Hadoop cluster?
Otherwise, do you or your mainframe vendor have a custom Hadoop filesystem
binding for the mainframe?

If not, you should be able to use ftp:// URLs as the source of data for the
initial MR job; at the end of the sequence of MR jobs the result can go
back to the mainframe;

Re: Hadoop and MainFrame integration

Posted by Ankam Venkateshwarlu <an...@gmail.com>.
Can you please explain how to automate the process of sending files back
and forth from Mainframe?  Is it done using NDM?

I have a requirement to migrate Mainframe to Hadoop.  I am looking for more
information in this area about the economics, process and tools that
support migration etc.  Any information related to this is highly
appreciated.  Thanks!

Regards,
Venkat Ankam

Posted by Ankam Venkateshwarlu <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ankam Venkateshwarlu <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ankam Venkateshwarlu <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by modemide <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by modemide <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Chris Smith <cs...@gmail.com>.
Siddharth,

I don't know if you've already found this video but here's Phillip Shelley
(Sears CTO) talking about Sears experience with Hadoop and their mainframe:
http://youtu.be/8Rztad665po

They use 'ftp' to move data to and from Hadoop, which is a bottleneck, but
they gained so many 'spare' MIPS and reduced the processing time
significantly that the MIPS burnt in the ftp probably fade ino
insignificance.

BTW, according to the talk their COBOL programmers found Pig as a good tool
to re-engineer some of their existing COBOL jobs.

It may not be a solution to your problem but it should give you some
confidence in using Hadoop to support the mainframe.

Regards,

Chris

Posted by Chris Smith <cs...@gmail.com>.
Siddharth,