Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mathieu Bouchard <ma...@artengine.ca> on 2007/02/09 21:57:05 UTC

TVD_ENVFROM_APOST

Two questions about TVD_ENVFROM_APOST :

1. Is its execution conditional in any way? Because I have many posts that
have an apostrophe in the "From:" yet don't trigger this flag. I can't
figure out when it's applied or not.

2. Wouldn't it be better to check for apostrophe s ? It seems like what
that test catches is mostly addresses made up from random dictionary
words, from dictionaries that consider each genitive case to be a word in
itself. E.g. open /usr/share/dict/words and search for apostrophes.

Re: TVD_ENVFROM_APOST

Posted by Larry Starr <la...@fullcompass.com>.
It checks the Envelope from, NOT the Header "From:".

--
Larry G. Starr - larrys@fullcompass.com or starrl@globaldialog.com
Software Engineer: Full Compass Systems LTD.

Re: TVD_ENVFROM_APOST

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> However, my mail program hides the EnvelopeFrom (the very
> first line of the message, if I'm not mistaken)

You are mistaken.

The very first line of the actual email can be any header, though
different storage format my have other requirements (see more
below) for the email as stored on disk.

The "envelope from address" is the address used in the SMTP
conversation.

It may be in the mails header, usually as a "Return-Path:"
header, but that is up to whatever software your mail system use
and nobody here can guarantee that it will be there at all. It is
sometimes in "Envelope-From:" or included in a "Received:" header.

Email is often stored with a "From " line as the first line of
each message (in MBOXes for example). This line is part of the
storage system and is not part of the email. This line *may*
contain the address from the envelope, but it doesn't have to.
Exactly what it contains depends on the software that prepended
the it (usually your MDA).

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet
http://whatever.frukt.org/

Re: TVD_ENVFROM_APOST

Posted by Mathieu Bouchard <ma...@artengine.ca>.
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Two questions about TVD_ENVFROM_APOST :
>
> 1. Is its execution conditional in any way? Because I have many posts that
> have an apostrophe in the "From:" yet don't trigger this flag. I can't figure
> out when it's applied or not.

I just checked it again, and it may have to do with EnvelopeFrom vs
From:addr. However, my mail program hides the EnvelopeFrom (the very first
line of the message, if I'm not mistaken) even when in "full headers"
mode. Fortunately, I can export any message to a file in which the first
line will be the EnvelopeFrom.

So, I found an email that had "'s" in the "From:" but not tagged
TVD_ENVFROM_APOST, and I exported it, and looked at the first line. It
contained an "'s" too. So, that possibility is eliminated, and I have no
other idea what it could be.

(I don't have any experience writing rules in SpamAssassin. I know
Regexps, Perl, etc., but I don't know much SA-specific information)