Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org> on 2006/02/02 16:07:10 UTC

Re: Improvements for CustomJXPathBinding

Dear committers,

Could  you  please comment  on  this?   Are  we allowed  to  break
backwards compatibility on custom Java bindings?

See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1238
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: Improvements for CustomJXPathBinding

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Ralph Goers:

> The  question  is,  does  the current  behavior  work  for  some
> people or  is this a  flat-out bug? (This is a  general question
> applicable to any incompatible change).

The current way can work provided that the XML path already exists
in the  target document.  In  short, you  have to create  the path
manually to get  it to work!  Nobody seems to  object against this
modification, the feedback I received is rather positive.

This will  of course be mentioned  in the ChangeLog.  Is  there an
XML vocabulary allowing to add warnings in status.xml?
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: Improvements for CustomJXPathBinding

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
My 2 cents.

The question is, does the current behavior work for some people or is
this a flat-out bug? (This is a general question applicable to any
incompatible change).

If the current way of working is broken then providing an incompatible
fix is OK IMO.  If the current way can work for some people then the new
behavior needs to be enabled via configuration.

Ralph