Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2020/11/17 16:43:34 UTC

VOTE: Merge HBASE-18070 "Enable memstore replication for meta replica" to master and then back to branch-2" (Was "HEAD-UP: Merging HBASE-18070 "Enable memstore replication for meta replica" to master and then back to branch-2")

Please VOTE on whether to merge HBASE-18070 feature branch to master (and
HBASE-18070.branch-2 to branch-2). The VOTE runs for 24 hours. The majority
prevails (+ or -).

Quoting the design lead-in:

Read Replicas on the hbase:meta Table currently only does primitive read of
the primary’s hfiles refreshing every (configurable) N seconds. This issue
is about making it so we can do the Async WAL Replication
<http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#_asnyc_wal_replication> ability,
currently only available for user-space Tables, against the hbase:meta
system Tables too; i.e. the primary replica pushes edits to its Replicas so
they run much closer to the primaries’ state. If clients could be satisfied
reading from Replicas, then we could have improved hbase:meta uptimes but
also, we can distribute load off of the primary and alleviate hbase:meta
Table (read) hotspotting.

Each PR that comprises the feature branch has been reviewed before commit.

 * For the design, see [2].
 * For an amalgamated PR of the 5 or 6 reviewed PRs that comprise this
feature, see [3].
 * For a PE report that compared performance before and after, see
HBASE-25127 (no regression).
 * A report on ITBLL runs is pending to be attached to HBASE-18070 but runs
so far show no regression with the feature enabled (ITBLL runs were done
against a backport of this feature to branch-2 as the ITBLL state of master
is currently an unknown).

Testing continues mainly looking for further improvement and to better
understand this feature in operation. Documentation is included. There are
some follow-ons that have been identified but these can land later.

Thanks and thanks to all who contributed to this feature; the reviewers and
the testers in particular.

1. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#_asnyc_wal_replication
2.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jJWVc-idHhhgL4KDRpjMsQJKCl_NRaCLGiH3Wqwd3O8/edit#
This patch is currently missing HBASE-25280, a bug found in testing.
3. https://github.com/apache/hbase/pull/2643

Re: VOTE: Merge HBASE-18070 "Enable memstore replication for meta replica" to master and then back to branch-2" (Was "HEAD-UP: Merging HBASE-18070 "Enable memstore replication for meta replica" to master and then back to branch-2")

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 12:53 AM 张铎(Duo Zhang) <pa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Oh, just noticed that the design doc has been committed to master and
> branch-2 directly. I'm not sure if this is the correct way but since it is
> already like this, let's just fix it on master and branch-2.
>
> Then there is no blocker on the merge of the feature branch any more.
> Change my vote to +1.
>
> I've already reopened HBASE-25284 to mention what to change in the design
> doc. I do not have the permission to modify the design doc, as it has been
> messed up by others so the modification permission for most people have
> been removed to avoid spamming.

I granted you edit rights.

Posted by Huaxiang Sun <hu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for the vote! Let me follow up on HBASE-25284.

Best Regards,
Huaxiang

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
So as long as I have already put the above things out, I do not think the 4
questions are still useful to solve the concerns here.

Then I propose that someone please add the above explanation to the design
doc of HBASE-18070 to explicitly mention that the hedge read mode on meta
can not afford more load on meta as meta is special, if the primary replica
is unavailable then the whole cluster will be in trouble so go to secondary
replicas is useless.  And HBASE-18070 could afford more load on meta as we
distribute the load across all the meta replicas, so if we have N
replicas, theoretically we could afford N times of load on meta.

Once this is done, I will change my vote to +1.

Thanks.

张铎(Duo Zhang) <pa...@gmail.com> 于2020年11月19日周四 上午11:02写道:

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Huaxiang Sun <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by clara xiong <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Huaxiang Sun <hu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bharath Vissapragada <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

[RESULT] VOTE: Merge HBASE-18070 "Enable memstore replication for meta replica" to master and then back to branch-2" (Was "HEAD-UP: Merging HBASE-18070 "Enable memstore replication for meta replica" to master and then back to branch-2")

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
With 5 binding and 1 non-binding votes in favor and no votes against, this
vote to merge passes.
Thanks to all who participated.