Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/07/26 06:07:13 UTC

Publishing artifacts to Apache nexus or Maven central

Hello,

In looking at downloads [1] it appears that artifacts are published to Maven central.  However, in looking for them from any of the various maven repos I'm not finding them.  I then see this JIRA [2].

Can you advise on the current state of deploying the maven artifacts to a public repo?

Was really hoping to go to town using the 'audience-annotations' for Apache NiFi in advance of our upcoming major release.

[1] https://yetus.apache.org/downloads/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YETUS-406

Thanks
Joe

Re: Publishing artifacts to Apache nexus or Maven central

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Joe,

The audience annotations began life in Hadoop.  So far, within the Hadoop codebase, the annotations have not made any particular distinction about “designed for extensibility”.  For a class annotated Public and Stable, we need to keep a commitment that the interface remains stable both for callers and subclasses overriding methods.

It’s possible to apply one annotation to the class and a different annotation to specific methods.  If we had a use case for a class with stable public methods, but an internal protected method that can’t satisfy that guarantee, then we’d handle it by applying Public/Stable to the class and Private/Unstable to that individual method.

That said, we definitely could consider enhancing the model if you want to propose something.  We could potentially add something like an Extensible annotation to communicate that the class was designed with subclassing in mind.

--Chris Nauroth

On 7/26/16, 8:25 AM, "Joe Witt" <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Cool - thanks Sean.

    I've outlined how we're going to attack the usage of this in NiFi once
    the artifact is available.  One thing that would be interesting to
    discuss with you all is the notion of interface audience and stability
    from the perspective of a caller/user of that interface/class versus
    one who wants to extend it.

    Thanks
    Joe

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.