Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2018/02/27 16:23:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] tracing framework updates

More things we should get ahead of for Accumulo 2.0.0: distributed tracing.

Right now we have an awkward situation wrt HTrace support. We're using and shipping htrace 3.1. It works okay for our internal uses, afaict.

Hadoop 2.6 ships and uses HTrace 3.0. I believe this does not work with 3.1.

Hadoop 2.7 ships and uses HTrace 3.1, which means we can trace things down through the hdfs layer, though I've never managed to get anything useful out of trying to do so.

Hadoop 2.8+ ships and uses HTrace 4.0, which isn't compatible with 3.1.

Hadoop 2.9+ and 3.0+ ship and use HTrace 4.1, it doesn't work with 3.1 and it's not clear to me if it works with 4.0.

I *think* this means that we can only do tracing down into a single minor release line of HDFS.

Additionally, as of their January podling report[1] it looks like HTrace is about ready to shut down as a project. In theory it could continue on github or something after exiting the ASF incubator, but I don't see why we'd expect an increase in activity; the project's been pretty idle for at least a year.

I really don't want to go back to maintaining cloudtrace. So what should we do? Zipkin has some decent uptake[2]; they're still making regular releases. Maybe just adopt OpenTracing[3] as a way to hedge against having to do his again?

YCSB is the Accumulo downstream with tracing that I'm most familiar with. It relies on HTrace 4.1. I'm probably going to push that community to abandon HTrace soon. (I was the one that pushed it to adopt HTrace in the first place). I'd like to at least get tracing from YCSB through Accumulo in the process.

[1]: https://s.apache.org/uDHN
[2]: https://zipkin.io/
[3]: http://opentracing.io/documentation/

Re: [DISCUSS] tracing framework updates

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I wonder if it would be better to just rip out tracing in 2.0. I know it's
a big leap... but I really don't know anybody using it regularly, and given
the potential compatibility problems, potential impact of migrating, and
general lack of care from the HTrace project for API compatibility, as well
as a myriad of various tracing-related bugs that are hard to fix
(ACCUMULO-4415 off the top of my head, but I think there's also generally a
problem of unrooted traces due to trace-unaware executors and similar
problems).

Ripping it out of 2.0 could give us some breathing room to do some internal
modularization/refactoring/cleaning up code debt, before potentially
reintroducing it more carefully in the future.

I'm not saying I like this option... but it might be worth considering.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I agree that it has value, and would also be disappointed ripping it out.
However, unless the interest in keeping it is accompanied by interest in
maintaining it, I don't think we have much choice. Eventually, we're going
to have to make hard decisions about what things to keep, and what things
to drop. If we fail to make these hard decisions, these lesser maintained
features will (at some point) become a drag on the entire project.

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.
Josh,
In theory, I'd be most happy if it were possible to have both sides of the
accumulo sandwich (one side being "the application", the other being
HDFS/zookeeper/etc.) instrumented and tracing in the same way to get a
comprehensive view. I just don't know how realistic that is.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.
Josh,

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.