Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by John Almberg <ja...@identry.com> on 2002/07/06 15:52:16 UTC

problems running embpexec.pl

Hi,

I use Embperl in offline mode to publish HTML pages to a website. I've got
the whole process working perfectly on my test site. Now I'm trying to move
the software to the production site (another hosting company, alas) and
cannot get embpexec.pl to work at all.

This is a shared host so I don't have root privilages. Thus I'm trying to
install Embperl in a private directory.

I have followed the installation procedures to the best of my understanding.
However, I do get some warnings and errors:

When I run:
	perl Makefile.PL LIB=~/lib

I get: "Warning: prerequisite File::Spec 0.8 not found at (eval 4) line
221." Though File::Spec is available on the server.

And when I run make I get these errors:

cc -c -I/home/kemptech/src/Embperl-2.0b6  -I/home/kemptech/src/Embperl-2.0b6
/xs -Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -I/usr/local/include -O2    -DVERSION=\"2.0b6\" -
DXS_VERSION=\"2.0b6\" -fpic -I/usr/lib/perl5/i686-linux/5.00401/CORE -DEP2
App.c
App.xs: In function `Embperl__App_new_init':
App.xs:62: `PL_sv_undef' undeclared (first use this function)
App.xs:62: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
App.xs:62: for each function it appears in.)
App.xs: In function `XS_Embperl__App_udat':
App.xs:160: `PL_sv_undef' undeclared (first use this function)
App.xs: In function `XS_Embperl__App_sdat':
App.xs:196: `PL_sv_undef' undeclared (first use this function)
App.xs: In function `XS_Embperl__App_mdat':
App.xs:232: `PL_sv_undef' undeclared (first use this function)
make[3]: *** [App.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/kemptech/src/Embperl-2.0b6/xs/Embperl/App'
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kemptech/src/Embperl-2.0b6/xs/Embperl'
make[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kemptech/src/Embperl-2.0b6/xs'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2

I get pretty much the same errors when I run make install.

And when I try to run embpexec.pl, I get the following:

orange:~/src/Embperl-2.0b6/blib/lib$ embpexec.pl test.epl
Can't find loadable object for module Embperl in @INC
(/usr/lib/perl5/i686-linux/5.00401 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
././embpexec.pl line 23
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ././embpexec.pl line 23.

So . . . my questions:

1. do the errors mean anything if I just want to run embpexec.pl offline?
2. how can I install the software in a sensible place, like
/home/myname/lib?
3. if I understand the runtime error message, embpexec.pl can't find
Embperl.pm because the path to the module isn't in @INC. I know how to do
this by using use lib, but how do I do it when I run embpexec.pl from the
command line or from a shell script? I didn't have this problem on my test
machine because Embperl was installed properly by the administrator.

I hope these are silly questions and you all can set me straight. I'm
getting pretty desperate! Thanks.

-- John

Re: problems running embpexec.pl

Posted by Angus Lees <gu...@switchonline.com.au>.
At Sat, 6 Jul 2002 20:23:46 +0200, Gerald Richter wrote:
> The solution is to either install get the hoster to update it's Perl
> version, install a private copy of a newer Perl version or fix the Embperl
> compile error e.g. define the correct macros.

alternatively, since John is doing "offline publishing" anyway, he
could just generate the html on his own machine (where embperl works)
and then upload the html directly, without using embperl on the server
at all.

(but if you want to generate the html in response to something on the
webserver, then this is going to get a little more complicated)

--
 - Gus

Re: problems running embpexec.pl

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> However, I was not trying to get ALL of Embperl running. All I cared about
> was embpexec.pl. In fact, I'd like to know what I need to run embpexec.pl
.
> . . it it just Embperl.PM? or are there other bits and pieces that are
> needed? I'd actually like to consolidate the needed files in one place and
> get rid of the rest.

Yes, alot of. You can use all the feature of Embperl also within
embpexec.pl, so it depend on what you are using.
To get it running you should at least install all the pm files, the
Embperl.so file and the pl files you actualy call. I think it's safe to
leave out the rest. Since it diskspace didn't matter I would install all the
all the files that you find in the blib directory, after running make
(that's waht make install does). This is the safest.

> Thanks again and I'll send you those notes in a few days.

No hurry. Send it when you have time.

> By the way, I really like Embperl and am using it as the key component of
> content management/web publishing system. Works great!

:-)

Gerald

RE: problems running embpexec.pl

Posted by John Almberg <ja...@identry.com>.
Hi Gerald,

Yes, I need to write it up for myself, anyway, so I can reproduce it on the
next machine.

However, I was not trying to get ALL of Embperl running. All I cared about
was embpexec.pl. In fact, I'd like to know what I need to run embpexec.pl .
. . it it just Embperl.PM? or are there other bits and pieces that are
needed? I'd actually like to consolidate the needed files in one place and
get rid of the rest.

However, that is a job for another day! I need to get this site on-line
pronto. My client has been very patient, but I don't want to tax him
further!

Thanks again and I'll send you those notes in a few days.

By the way, I really like Embperl and am using it as the key component of a

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by John Almberg <ja...@identry.com>.
Wow! I finally got it working. A huge investment of time, but I learned a
whole lot about Perl and Linux that I didn't know before.

I've got load of experience as a Unix programmer (started out on a VAX, if
you remember what those were!) but have always had an administrator to take
care of things like loading software. The few times I've had to do this I
had root privileges, so it was a snap. This was quite a different matter!

Anyway, the key was realizing that I had an up-to-date version of Perl on
the machine, but had to invoke it with perl5, not Perl. Once I figure that
out, the rest of the installation was fairly straight forward (by then, I'd
already figured out how to build the proper makefile and set up PATH and
PERL5LIB.)

Whew! I was starting to think I'd never get it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-- John

# > Ah . . . that would explain it. Thank you very much, Gerald. Perhaps
# another
# > alternative would be to use a stable version that includes
# embpexec.pl and
# > compiles under Perl 5.004?
# >
#
# If you don't need the new feature of 2.0, you can use 1.3.4,
# which compiles
# with Perl 5.004
#
# Gerald
#
# -------------------------------------------------------------
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------
# For additional commands, e-mail: embperl-help@perl.apache.org
#

Re: problems running embpexec.pl

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by John Almberg <ja...@identry.com>.
# > App.xs: In function `Embperl__App_new_init':
# > App.xs:62: `PL_sv_undef' undeclared (first use this function)
#
# This is because your system has Perl 5.004 and these symbols have
# different
# names in Perl 5.004.
#
# Embperl 2.b5 and newer needs Perl 5.005 to compile. Wouldn't be
# Gerald

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> App.xs: In function `Embperl__App_new_init':
> App.xs:62: `PL_sv_undef' undeclared (first use this function)

This is because your system has Perl 5.004 and these symbols have different
names in Perl 5.004.

Embperl 2.b5 and newer needs Perl 5.005 to compile. Wouldn't be hard to fix,
just a few macros to adjust, e.g. PL_sv_undef is sv_undef in 5.004, but
there is too less people still using 5.004 and I don't have the time to do
it right now. Anyway if would like to fix it on your own, take a look at
epnames.h and ep.h there are a lot of definitions, which do the other way
round, which might help you. (as always patches are always welcome :-)

> 1. do the errors mean anything if I just want to run embpexec.pl offline?

Yes, as long as you can't compile it (e.g. make doesn't work), you won't be
able to run.

> 2. how can I install the software in a sensible place, like
> /home/myname/lib?

there is some parameter to Makefile.PL, read perldoc ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

> 3. if I understand the runtime error message, embpexec.pl can't find
> Embperl.pm because the path to the module isn't in @INC.

It's not compiled, so it's not there, so it can't be found....

> I didn't have this problem on my test
> machine because Embperl was installed properly by the administrator.

I guess you have a newer Perl version.

Plan B . . .

Posted by John Almberg <ja...@identry.com>.
Just in case I can't get Embperl installed on my server (before I run out of
time), can anyone recommend a shared hosting service that includes Embperl?
Speed and support are my primary criteria.

Thanks: John