Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by David Taylor <da...@extensiatech.com> on 2019/06/13 20:04:05 UTC

Tapestry 5.5 progress

Hello,

Does anyone know where we stand on the Tapestry 5.5 release? Are there
specific blocking issues that need to be addressed? I recall seeing one
related to Java 11 and ASM, but it is not clear if that is being worked
on at the moment.

We are working on upgrading our applications to Java 11 and may be able
to help with troubleshooting of open issues.

Regards,
David

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:21 PM Vangel V. Ajanovski <aj...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am using Tapestry to develop applications for internal research and
> teaching purposes,

Nice!

> and have recently migrated two applications that are
> used daily to 5.5.0-beta-3 and they are running without issues on Java 12.
> I have tried running on Java 13 but it was not possible, due to
> unsupported class versions.

As far as I know, Java 12 doesn't have any bytecode differences to 11, so
supporting 11 also supports 12. 13, on the other hand, does introduce new
bytecode.

This is a known issue and my plan is to support Java 14 (LTS version soon
to be released) in Tapestry 5.6 (which shouldn't take as long to be
released as 5.5). It's not trivial to support a new Java bytecode version
in Tapestry because this is done by embedding (i.e. copying and then
changing the package name) the ASM sources and then applying a couple of
manual changes.

> As the documentation indicates that Java 11 is the supported version, I
> wanted to ask the reason for this. Is it just because 11 is LTS?

Yes.

> Or there are truly some specific cases that I have not encountered which
> prevent fully supported operation under Java 12 and I have to be careful.

I don't know any.

Thiago

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Posted by "Vangel V. Ajanovski" <aj...@gmail.com>.
I am using Tapestry to develop applications for internal research and
teaching purposes, and have recently migrated two applications that are
used daily to 5.5.0-beta-3 and they are running without issues on Java 12.

I have tried running on Java 13 but it was not possible, due to
unsupported class versions.

As the documentation indicates that Java 11 is the supported version, I
wanted to ask the reason for this. Is it just because 11 is LTS? Or

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 10:30 PM David Taylor <da...@extensiatech.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

> Just following up to see where we are at with testing of 5.5-beta-3.  We
> are testing using a private build from master to pickup the recent
> changes and have not run into any compatibility issues so far.

Thanks for your testing and feedback!

> I am
> curious whether anyone has run into any show stoppers?
> Assuming there are no blocking issues, what is the next step forward
> with 5.5?

There's one last issue, even if it's a smaller one, which is the Glyphicon
component not rendering anything visible when Bootstrap isn't being used.
My plan is to use the free version of FontAwesome to cover that. After
that, unless some last minute showstopper appears, we would start the
process of releasing 5.5.0.

> Regards,
> David
>
> On 6/18/2019 8:46 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:04 PM David Taylor <
> david.taylor@extensiatech.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> > Hi!
> >

> >> Does anyone know where we stand on the Tapestry 5.5 release?
> >
> > We should get a release in the upcoming months.
> >

> >> Are there
> >> specific blocking issues that need to be addressed? I recall seeing one
> >> related to Java 11 and ASM, but it is not clear if that is being worked
> >> on at the moment.
> >>
> > It was worked and it's already working, except for one specific case I'm
> > planning to fix this weekend (overriding of interface default methods).
> >

> >> We are working on upgrading our applications to Java 11 and may be able
> >> to help with troubleshooting of open issues.
> >>
> > Awesome! Please post any issues you find with Tapestry both here and in
> > Jira so we can properly track and fix them.
> >

> >> Regards,
> >> David

Thiago

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Posted by David Taylor <da...@extensiatech.com>.
Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

Just following up to see where we are at with testing of 5.5-beta-3.  We
are testing using a private build from master to pickup the recent
changes and have not run into any compatibility issues so far.  I am

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hello,

Hi!

> Does anyone know where we stand on the Tapestry 5.5 release?

We should get a release in the upcoming months.

> Are there
> specific blocking issues that need to be addressed? I recall seeing one
> related to Java 11 and ASM, but it is not clear if that is being worked
> on at the moment.

It was worked and it's already working, except for one specific case I'm
planning to fix this weekend (overriding of interface default methods).

> We are working on upgrading our applications to Java 11 and may be able
> to help with troubleshooting of open issues.

Awesome! Please post any issues you find with Tapestry both here and in
Jira so we can properly track and fix them.

> Regards,
> David

Thiago