Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Alexander <mp...@mail.thefriend.com> on 2002/07/10 19:55:20 UTC

Re: Slow apache 2.0, thread issue?

Is 1000 concurrent connections something that this server is going to
encounter with any regularity?

I'm also curious if your server has to few processes waiting to handle
the incoming requests.  IE, if there are 256 available processes and
1000 requests coming in, 744 of those requests are going to have to wait
for a process to service them.  Check your error log to see if there are
any warnings about reaching maximums.

Even if you have enough processes, if the machine isn't beefy enough to
handle it, that would also explain the performance fall off.  That is
where the first questions comes from.

How does it perform as you push the concurrency higher, at 100, 200,
300...etc, where does it start to fall off?

Scott

Posted by Mikel Waxler <wa...@waxor.com>.
It falls off at about -c 150, very rapidly. by 170 its very slow.

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Scott Alexander wrote:

> Is 1000 concurrent connections something that this server is going to
> encounter with any regularity?
>
> I'm also curious if your server has to few processes waiting to handle
> the incoming requests.  IE, if there are 256 available processes and
> 1000 requests coming in, 744 of those requests are going to have to wait
> for a process to service them.  Check your error log to see if there are
> any warnings about reaching maximums.
>
> Even if you have enough processes, if the machine isn't beefy enough to
> handle it, that would also explain the performance fall off.  That is
> where the first questions comes from.
>
> How does it perform as you push the concurrency higher, at 100, 200,
> 300...etc, where does it start to fall off?
>
> Scott
>
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:48:24 -0500 (EST)
> "Mikel Waxler" <wa...@waxor.com> wrote:
> > > Why is this the last resort?  What is Apache2-prefork giving you
> > > that Apache 1.3.x doesn't give you?
> >
> > I'm stepping in to admin this server, so I'm not that familier with
> > it. After a little more benchmarking I've found this:
> > ab -n 10000 -c 30   ip  == 463.58 requests/sec
> > ab -n 10000 -c 1000 ip  == 20.26 requests/sec
> >
> > So it is deffinatey the concurency that is killing me. Any ideas
> > there?

HampshireCollege.student("Mikel Waxler");