Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Jordan <ap...@iratepenguin.net> on 2007/05/28 04:08:18 UTC

[users@httpd] RBL Access Controls for Apache 2.2.x

What are the typical approaches to implementing RBL access control in 2.2.x?

We've been running 1.3.x with Brian Bruns' mod_access_rbl module. It's
worked extremely well. I've found no literature indicating that it will
run properly, or even compile, in 2.2.x  (No, haven't tried it yet -
wanted to get opinions for those who've already addressed this problem
first.)

We'll be migrating to 2.2.x and would like to keep the RBL capabilities
which we've enjoyed under 1.3.x

Thanks,
ScottJ

Re: [users@httpd] RBL Access Controls for Apache 2.2.x

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Mon, 28 May 2007 04:57:32 +0100
"Vincent Bray" <no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28/05/07, Scott Jordan <ap...@iratepenguin.net> wrote:
> > What are the typical approaches to implementing RBL access control
> > in 2.2.x?
> >
> > We've been running 1.3.x with Brian Bruns' mod_access_rbl module.
> > It's worked extremely well. I've found no literature indicating
> > that it will run properly, or even compile, in 2.2.x  (No, haven't
> > tried it yet - wanted to get opinions for those who've already
> > addressed this problem first.)
>
> I don't know what that module does, but the api for modules changed
> between 1.3 and 2.0, so it won't compile without changes. Try
> modules.apache.org if it's no longer being maintained.

In some cases those changes may be trivial.  Those cases
include access control, unless it uses some unexpected part of
the API to implement it.

But in any case, Brian France has implemented similar functionality
for Apache 2.  I don't recollect the URL, but I'm sure you can find it.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Re: [users@httpd] RBL Access Controls for Apache 2.2.x

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 28/05/07, Scott Jordan <ap...@iratepenguin.net> wrote:
> What are the typical approaches to implementing RBL access control in 2.2.x?
>
> We've been running 1.3.x with Brian Bruns' mod_access_rbl module. It's
> worked extremely well. I've found no literature indicating that it will
> run properly, or even compile, in 2.2.x  (No, haven't tried it yet -
> wanted to get opinions for those who've already addressed this problem
> first.)

I don't know what that module does, but the api for modules changed
between 1.3 and 2.0, so it won't compile without changes. Try
modules.apache.org if it's no longer being maintained.

--
noodl