Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Alan Lord <lo...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/17 00:23:53 UTC

Help with docs 2.0.47

Sorry to be a pain but I can't seem to get my manual to "work" after
sucessfully installing apache.

I moved the manual to htdocs/manuals/apache/

and now it doesn't want to add ".en" to all my requests. So I just get some
references at the top of each page like this:

===============================================Top of Browser
Window====================================
URI: directive-dict.html.en Content-Language: en Content-type: text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-1 URI: directive-dict.html.ja.jis Content-Language: ja

URL was:
http://192.168.1.10/manuals/apache/manual/mod/directive-dict.html#Descriptio

I've re-extracted my source and copied "cp -a" all of  .../doc/docroot and
.../doc/manual to the right places but it still does the same thing.

How can I fix this please?

Thanks

Al

Re: Help with docs 2.0.47

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Alan Lord wrote:

> Sorry to be a pain but I can't seem to get my manual to "work" after
> sucessfully installing apache.
>
> I moved the manual to htdocs/manuals/apache/
>
> and now it doesn't want to add ".en" to all my requests. So I just get some
> references at the top of each page like this:

In httpd.conf, there is a <Directory> section refering to the manual.  You
need change this to point to the new location.

Alternatively, grab a documentation package from a mirror:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/httpd/docs/

These packages don't require a special web server configuration.

Joshua.

Re: Help with docs 2.0.47

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 17/10/2003, at 08:58, André Malo wrote:

> * Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> wrote:
>
>>          SetEnvIf Request_URI
>> ^/manuals/apache/manual/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)/ prefer-language=$1
>
> This is unfortunately 2.1 only yet ... You'd need the 2.0 version.

Uhh, you're right. So just for the records, this should have been the
following
for the 2.0 version:

     SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/de/ prefer-language=de
     SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/en/ prefer-language=en
     SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/fr/ prefer-language=fr
     SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/ja/ prefer-language=ja
     SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/ko/ prefer-language=ko
     SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/ru/ prefer-language=ru

instead of only

     SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manuals/apache/manual/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)/
prefer-language=$1

for the 2.1 series.

>> To the docs folks: fwiw but we should have documented this change
>> better... nearly the same question hit me three times this week and I
>> suspect I'm not the only one ;)
>
> Yeah, probably. I bet the problem is mostly my fault, since I didn't
> think about the folks who copy their docs somewhere :-(
>
> FAQ?

Hmm, perhaps a dedicated section for the documentation configuration
and some words on the available formats and packages on [1] would be
appropriate? Hmm, or would this be too much?

Cheers,
Erik

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/faq/

Re: Help with docs 2.0.47

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> wrote:

>          SetEnvIf Request_URI
> ^/manuals/apache/manual/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)/ prefer-language=$1

This is unfortunately 2.1 only yet ... You'd need the 2.0 version.

> To the docs folks: fwiw but we should have documented this change
> better... nearly the same question hit me three times this week and I
> suspect I'm not the only one ;)

Yeah, probably. I bet the problem is mostly my fault, since I didn't think about the folks who copy their docs somewhere :-(

FAQ?

nd

Re: Help with docs 2.0.47

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 17/10/2003, at 12:23, Alan Lord wrote:

> Sorry to be a pain but I can't seem to get my manual to "work" after
> sucessfully installing apache.
>
> I moved the manual to htdocs/manuals/apache/

You cannot just move the manual directory without adjusting your
configuration (httpd.conf) since the documentation for Apache 2.0
depends on some special configuration directives to deal with all the
available languages. Have a look at the example below. You'll have to
adjust the locations and paths in the AliasMatch, Directory, SetEnvIf
and RedirectMatch directives to match your new locations:

     #
     # This should be changed to the ServerRoot/manual/.  The alias
provides
     # the manual, even if you choose to move your DocumentRoot.  You may
     # comment this out if you do not care for the documentation.
     #
     AliasMatch
^/manuals/apache/manual(?:/(?:de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru))?(/.*)?$
"/path/to/your/manual/directory$1"

     <Directory "/path/to/your/manual/directory">
         Options Indexes
         AllowOverride None
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all

         <Files *.html>
             SetHandler type-map
         </Files>

         SetEnvIf Request_URI
^/manuals/apache/manual/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)/ prefer-language=$1
         RedirectMatch 301
^/manuals/apache/manual(?:/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)){2,}(/.*)?$
/manuals/apache/manual/$1$2
     </Directory>

Hope this helps.

Cheers,