Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sujoy Ghosh <gh...@rediffmail.com> on 2002/09/04 11:44:31 UTC

Tomcat4 startup problem

Hi ,

I can't start Tomcat 4.0.3 ; while starting using "service tomcat4
start " its showing Started [OK] but actually it isn't.Under
logs/catalina.out I found following error;

Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/naming/directory/DirContext
         at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java, Compiled Code)
         at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.ObjectCreate.start(XmlMapper.java,
Compiled Code)
         at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchStart(XmlMapper.java,
Compiled Code)
         at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.startElement(XmlMapper.java,
Compiled Code)
         at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.startElement(XMLReaderAdapter.java,
Compiled Code).......

FYI: I have installed RPM version of Tomcat 4.0.3 .Also using
JDK1.2.2 on RH Linux 7.1 .

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-best

Sujoy

Re: Tomcat4 startup problem

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:44:31AM -0000, Sujoy  Ghosh wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I can't start Tomcat 4.0.3 ; while starting using "service tomcat4
> start " its showing Started [OK] but actually it isn't.Under
> logs/catalina.out I found following error;
>
> Exception during startup processing
> java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> javax/naming/directory/DirContext

It's jndi.jar you want. From JDK 1.3 onwards it comes with the JDK, but
for 1.2 you have to download it from http://java.sun.com/products/jndi.
Probably ought to be in the release notes.

--Jeff