Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1996/01/16 20:55:56 UTC

for the wish list

someone has asked that multiviews responses have a "Last-modified"
header sent along.

If Apache is "misbehaving" in this way, then it was probably set
this way to stop proxy caches from caching a multiview response.
The use of pragma: no-cache has evolved since then, so maybe
this needs to be examined again.

rob

Re: for the wish list

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> someone has asked that multiviews responses have a "Last-modified"
> header sent along.
>
> If Apache is "misbehaving" in this way, then it was probably set
> this way to stop proxy caches from caching a multiview response.
> The use of pragma: no-cache has evolved since then, so maybe
> this needs to be examined again.

Actually content negotiation in toto will need to be revisited.  HTTP 1.1
has a much more complete description of what needs to be communicated to
the proxies to ensure correct caching, that wasn't there when rst did the
negotiation code.  We're hashing out the fine points in the
content-negotiation subgroup of the HTTP wg.   I have that down under
"Full HTTP/1.1 Content negotiation support".   :)

	Brian