Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by snowweb <pe...@snowweb.co.uk> on 2011/05/11 08:26:21 UTC

I'm getting many spams in the last few days, with spam scores far above my
4.0 threshold, which are still being delivered. Wondering if it's to do with
the fact that they all seem to have no sender.

I've included the source of a recent one:

********** SOURCE STARTS HERE ************

FH_FROMEML_NOTLD,FORGED_OUTLOOK_TAGS,FROM_NO_USER,FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1,
        HELO_NO_DOMAIN,RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT,RCVD_IN_PBL,RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL,
        RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL,RCVD_IN_XBL,RDNS_NONE shortcircuit=no autolearn=no
        version=3.3.1
        *      [score: 1.0000]
        *  1.5 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1
        *  1.1 FH_FROMEML_NOTLD E-mail address doesn't have TLD (.com, etc.)
        *  0.8 FROM_NO_USER From: has no local-part before @ sign
        *  1.4 RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT RBL: RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT
        *      [122.161.46.234 listed in bb.barracudacentral.org]
        *  1.3 RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL RBL: Relay in RNBL,
        *      https://senderscore.org/blacklistlookup/
        *      [122.161.46.234 listed in bl.score.senderscore.com]
        *  3.3 RCVD_IN_PBL RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
        *      [122.161.46.234 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
        *  0.4 RCVD_IN_XBL RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
        *  0.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP
address
        *      [122.161.46.234 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
        *  0.1 FORGED_OUTLOOK_TAGS Outlook can't send HTML in this format
        *  2.3 EMPTY_MESSAGE Message appears to have no textual parts and no
        *      Subject: text
        *  1.2 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no
rDNS
        *  1.5 HELO_NO_DOMAIN Relay reports its domain incorrectly
From: "" <>
To: myuser@mydomain.co.uk
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 07:42:20 -0530

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01CC0FB1.90DAACE0

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01CC0FB1.90DAACE0

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01CC0FB1.90DAACE0--

************* end of source **********************

By the way, does anyone have the trim email button figured out? I pressed it
and entered the address that I wanted obfuscate, but it didn't seem to
obfuscate anything, so I changed my address in the message source manually
to myuser@mydomain.co.uk.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Peter

Re: X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=18.4 - Still delivered.

Posted by snowweb <pe...@snowweb.co.uk>.

Joseph Brennan wrote:

> The reason the SMTP standard requires this is ensure that a delivery
> status
> notice does not generate another delivery status notice.

Thanks Joseph.

You're right, seems a bit daft. Nevermind, at least I know it's not broken
now! Will continue to score as usual on <> senders.

Pete

Re: X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=18.4 - Still delivered.

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.
snowweb <pe...@snowweb.co.uk> wrote:

> It seems that if the sender is <> Exim always delivers it to the inbox,
> regardless of the how it was classified. Apparently this is because
> mailservers sending notification of undeliverable mail, identify
> themselves in this way (for some reason which appears a bit daft to me)

The reason the SMTP standard requires this is ensure that a delivery status
notice does not generate another delivery status notice.

> and therefore, everything from <> is automatically delivered to the inbox.

That's the daft part! That's not logical at all. Apply the spam score the
same as for any other message, if you can.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer

Re: X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=18.4 - Still delivered.

Posted by snowweb <pe...@snowweb.co.uk>.
Thanks for your responses.

Sorry, forgot temporarily, that SA only classifies spam and other
mechanism's control what is done to it after that. Therefore the issue lies
elsewhere as you rightly say.

It seems that if the sender is <> Exim always delivers it to the inbox,
regardless of the how it was classified. Apparently this is because
mailservers sending notification of undeliverable mail, identify themselves
in this way (for some reason which appears a bit daft to me) and therefore,
everything from <> is automatically delivered to the inbox. Personally, I
want it to be delivered in accordance with the spam classification and will
attempt to modify the Exim config files to reflect this.

Regarding rejecting spam, we reject at SMTP, those who have no valid
return-path or if the sending mailserver is in certain RBL's, otherwise we
accept and deliver almost everything, either to the user's inbox or to their
spam folder.

The exception to the above is if the SA score is exceptionally high (like
TEN ABOVE the spam threshold set by the client), this can only be due to
significant issues in the header of the email, then it won't be delivered
but silently dropped. These emails, generally have 'forged_this' and
'forged_that', no RDNS, via dynamic IP, contain masked link to russian
mailserver pretending to be from Paypal, etc. What possible use could the
email in question (above) be to anyone? It didn't even have any displayed
content and the headers are mainly forged. We have no intention of
delivering that kind of thing and even if it did have a return path, we
wouldn't return it as it would probably be forged too and that would
probably make us spammers.

We used to deliver those too, until certain clients contacted us, saying not
to deliver the obvious stuff. By not delivering that it offers them some,
degree of protection against phishing and also makes checking the spam
folder for ham, easier. So far no complaints, although would happily deliver
even those emails for any user upon request. The BAYES databases are user
trainable too, so we never get any issues. Users can control most aspects of
the service, including disabling it.

Thanks again.

Peter

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 10.05.11 23:26, snowweb wrote:
> I'm getting many spams in the last few days, with spam scores far above my
> 4.0 threshold, which are still being delivered.

delivered? SA doesn't care about delivery, only about detecting spam.
The delivery is up to your MTA, e.g. spamass-milter

Now SpamAssassin did its work...
Saving Private Ryan...
Private Ryan exists. Overwrite? (Y/N)