Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/19 18:24:01 UTC

Use of xerces inside DOMWSDLReader

It seems that the DOMWSDLReader is strongly tied to
xerces for parsing DOM.  Even if the parsing is performed
ouside, this class will still throw an CNFE if xerces is not
in the classpath.

Is there any plans to use standard DOM apis instead ?

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Use of xerces inside DOMWSDLReader

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
I think John already replied to this but just in case...

There are a couple primary reasons we selected to create a dependency on
Xerces.

1. Not all XML parsers perform schema validation (that is, validation of
an XML document against its schema grammar). Specifically, the Sun 1.4.2
JRE bundles Crimson, which will not perform schema validation. As Woden
depends on schema validation for a good portion of the rules of the WSDL
2.0 spec it seems in the best interest of our clients that we require an
XML parser that performs schema validation.

2. Xerces provides enhanced resources resolution interfaces (for URI
resolvers) when compared with the JAXP standard interfaces. These enhanced
interfaces have proven useful when working with Xerces for the Eclipse WTP
project and they may be helpful for Woden as well. (I still have to take a
look at Graham's URI resolver patch to see what the current state is of
resource resolution in Woden.)

Do you have a specific requirement that's conflicting with the Xerces
requirement or was your question simply one of good practice for Woden?

Thanks,

Lawrence

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
09/21/2006 07:01 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Use of xerces inside DOMWSDLReader

Hi,

We're using some features and properties which are Xerces impl
dependent. If there is a way of achieving the equivalent function in a
standard way then sure we'll move to using that. Either no-one has
looked into that or they have and found it not possible.

John, Lawrence - do you know if there is a standard-based way of
achieving the same thing as the features and properties we set on the
DOMParser in DOMWSDLReader?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>.
Guillaume,

Woden validation in the DOM implementation consists of schema validation by
the XML parser then semantic validation of the Woden WSDL object model. The
dependency on Xerces if for schema validation. We thought about using the
JAXP API to enable schema validation, but it's optional whether the JAXP
implementations actually support schema validation (for example, the
Crimson parser used in the Sun JREs does not).

We also thought we might need the Xerces API for some functions like URI
resolving and reporting WSDL line/column numbers with errors. We don't have
line/col numbers yet, but Graham might be able to comment on whether URI
resolving requires Xerces?

We do need to think about building/distributing Woden in a modularized way
to isolate the DOM and StAX/AXIOM implementations from each other (e.g. so
a DOM-based user does not need StAX/AXIOM dependcies and vice versa).

John Kaputin

             "Guillaume Nodet"
             <gnodet@gmail.com
                                       woden-dev@ws.apache.org
             19/09/2006 17:24                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Use of xerces inside DOMWSDLReader
             woden-dev@ws.apac
                  he.org