Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/24 14:05:40 UTC

Back to Mac: App Store Redux

Rhymes have a reason here. We have tried putting AOO on Apple's App Store but, last I checked, failed. I'd like to try doing it again. Why? Because the new release is, to me, significantly more modern and even more useful than before (adjectives escape me, as I've been using this suite now for >11 years, and liked it always). Second, I came across at least one open source application. That surprised me. I don't think Apple has a policy against open source applications but its App Store policies, if I recall, make it more difficult for those. And that may still make it hard for us to be placed in the App Store.

However….

best
louis

Re: Back to Mac: App Store Redux

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rhymes have a reason here. We have tried putting AOO on Apple's App Store but, last I checked, failed. I'd like to try doing it again. Why? Because the new release is, to me, significantly more modern and even more useful than before (adjectives escape me, as I've been using this suite now for >11 years, and liked it always). Second, I came across at least one open source application. That surprised me. I don't think Apple has a policy against open source applications but its App Store policies, if I recall, make it more difficult for those. And that may still make it hard for us to be placed in the App Store.

The thing to do is search out the requirements for inclusion in their
store.   You might find some things that are problematic.  I'd be wary
of things like:

1) Technical requirements that we don't meet.  For example, do they
have a requirement of JRE dependencies, or digital signatures?

2) Legal requirements.  For example, do we need to sign an agreement
that gives them indemnification?  This is unlikely to be something
that the ASF would do.  This has less to do with the open source
license and more to do with our status as a non-profit entity.

-Rob

Posted by Herbert Dürr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 2013/03/24 5:15 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> We have tried putting AOO on Apple's App
>> Store but, last I checked, failed. I'd like to try doing it again.
>
> Did we actually try? I'm adding Herbert to CC since he was discussing
> this issue at ApacheCon, but I don't recall any "official" attempt to
> get OpenOffice listed.

AFAIK there were no such efforts yet. We first have to get rid of some
dependencies that are prohibited by the app store's policies. This also
means we have to cut support of OSX versions older than 10.6 so we no
longer have to build against the old SDKs with depcreated APIs like ATSUI.

>> I don't think Apple has a policy against open source applications but
>> its App Store policies, if I recall, make it more difficult for
>> those.

Apple apparently dislikes the additional requirements copyleft licenses
impose on them when they redistribute such an app from their store. The
Apache license imposes no such extra burdens on app store providers so
we should be good.

> I think that more than the license the problem was with digital
> signatures, but Herbert might know more.

Yep, we'd need a developer certificate and for an official AOO build
this should be an official ASF certificate. AFAIK Jürgen is working on
that general topic with our friends from the ASF infra team.

Herbert

Re: Back to Mac: App Store Redux

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 13-03-24, at 12:15 , Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> We have tried putting AOO on Apple's App
>> Store but, last I checked, failed. I'd like to try doing it again.
>
> Did we actually try?

A good question. I had "tried" in that I sought to add it, but that was in 2011, I think. I don't know if "we" (others than I) also made a meaningful effort, i.e., was in contact with Apple, etc.

I do know some of the people in charge of the App Store. That won't really help, but will give me, if no one else, the satisfaction of believing that I'm more important than I really am.

> I'm adding Herbert to CC since he was discussing this issue at ApacheCon, but I don't recall any "official" attempt to get OpenOffice listed.
>
>> I don't think Apple has a policy against open source applications but
>> its App Store policies, if I recall, make it more difficult for
>> those.
>
> I think that more than the license the problem was with digital signatures, but Herbert might know more.

Ah. Interesting. It's worth investigating, I think.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.