Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2013/05/10 15:38:39 UTC

Fixing the jclouds blog

Hi All,

I wanted to write a blog post for jclouds.org/news<http://jclouds.org/news> about my upcoming jclouds workshop at Gluecon so I wandered over to jclouds.org/news<http://jclouds.org/news> first. When you get there you'll see the authentication dialog [1].

>From the page source I see it's pulling posts in from Tumblr. From the page source of the jclouds Tumblr blog I see some references to the old jclouds Google Code site (now deleted), which may be causing the problem.

Two questions:

1. Can someone with access to the Tumblr site remove the references to Google Code and see if that clears up the problem?

2. How can I write a blog post for jclouds.org/news?<http://jclouds.org/news?> Do I need access to Tumblr?

Thanks,
Everett

[1] http://imgur.com/5u3MnaL

Re: Fixing the jclouds blog

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
I viewed the rendered html and scrubbed all the googlecode links, so the
auth dialog won't pop up.

Basic suggestion wrt blog is to redirect blog.jclouds.org ->
www.jclouds.org/news(or blog).  add your own blog entry there (statically
defined), and perhaps have a link to http://www.tumblr.com/blog/jclouds for
old content.

-A

p.s. food for thought on mini-blogs.

Real blogs are less maintenance, javascript/css to fix, etc.  However, some
don't have apache or git auth, which is the current issue with tumblr.

If we don't want or can't find a suitable "real blog", I find the blog on
netflix easy enough: http://netflix.github.io/#blog

people just add a new file with minimal markup here:

https://github.com/Netflix/netflix.github.com/tree/master/blogs

then add a link to it into js/model.js like..

var blogs = [
	new BlogSpec('mockwebserver', 'March 8, 2013', "Why mock servers that
don't mock matter"),
	new BlogSpec('meetup-2', 'March 7, 2013', 'NetflixOSS Meetup - Season
1, Episode 2')
];

provided this is guarded with a jekyll validation, it is a short and
sweet alt to real blogs.

Re: Fixing the jclouds blog

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
fwiw tumblr broke because we deleted the old jclouds project, which forced
all the old links to ask for authentication.  I'm mainly in favor of
removing tumblr as it isn't easy to collaborate there.

Re: Fixing the jclouds blog

Posted by Matt Stephenson <ma...@mattstep.net>.

Re: Fixing the jclouds blog

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.