Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2002/03/18 07:41:22 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/experimental mod_cache.h mod_mem_cache.c

On 18 Mar 2002 jwoolley@apache.org wrote:

> jwoolley    02/03/17 22:37:33
>
>   Modified:    modules/experimental mod_cache.h mod_mem_cache.c
>   Log:
>   Get mod_mem_cache to compile cleanly again on linux, where apr_atomic_t
>   is a struct.

Hey Bill...

   Do me a favor and look over this (ie, please make sure it still works
on Windows :).  It's a bit ugly, but it was necessary to get it to compile
cleanly.  There were a few cases where I couldn't tell how it was that the
!USE_ATOMICS case was actually working right... how long has it been since
somebody tried it with that turned off?  Just curious.  But anyway, why
do we need a special !USE_ATOMICS case?  We have a default implementation
of apr_atomic_* that uses locks to do its thing... are we just trying to
avoid the extra locking overhead?

PS: the (void) cast on the two calls to apr_atomic_dec() was needed to
get rid of a compiler warning saying that a value computed was never used.

Thanks,
--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/experimental mod_cache.h mod_mem_cache.c

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> mod_mem_cache is experimental.  So are the apr_atomic_* calls. Feel free
> to remove the !USE_ATOMICS code paths when the apr_atomic functions are
> reasonably stable. Will review a bit later today.

Ah.  Sounds good.  Thanks!

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/experimental mod_cache.h mod_mem_cache.c

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
> >   Modified:    modules/experimental mod_cache.h mod_mem_cache.c
> >   Log:
> >   Get mod_mem_cache to compile cleanly again on linux, where apr_atomic_t
> >   is a struct.
>
> Hey Bill...
>
>    Do me a favor and look over this (ie, please make sure it still works
> on Windows :).  It's a bit ugly, but it was necessary to get it to compile
> cleanly.  There were a few cases where I couldn't tell how it was that the
> !USE_ATOMICS case was actually working right... how long has it been since
> somebody tried it with that turned off?  Just curious.  But anyway, why
> do we need a special !USE_ATOMICS case?  We have a default implementation
> of apr_atomic_* that uses locks to do its thing... are we just trying to
> avoid the extra locking overhead?
>
> PS: the (void) cast on the two calls to apr_atomic_dec() was needed to
> get rid of a compiler warning saying that a value computed was never used.
>
> Thanks,
> --Cliff

mod_mem_cache is experimental.  So are the apr_atomic_* calls. Feel free to remove the
!USE_ATOMICS code paths when the apr_atomic functions are reasonably stable. Will review a
bit later today.

Bill